Thread: Bladder stones/kidney stones affecting blood pressure

Bladder stones/kidney stones affecting blood pressure

I have been having issue with a symptomatically low blood pressure. My injury level is cervical 4/5 post 19 years. I have never had issues with low blood pressure. It may be a coincidence but I have been having issues with passing bladder stones at the same time that my blood pressure is so low. I would normally think of increased blood pressure with autonomic dysreflexia. But, I may be grasping at straws, but decided he couldn't help to ask of anyone else has had a similar situation/correlation.

You don't say and your profile doesn't indicate what level of injury you have, but spinal cord injuries in the cervical region are often accompanied by blood pressure instability. The condition is usually known as orthostatic hypotension and post prandial hypotension (low blood pressure after eating) can exacerbate the problem.

I am a C6/7 complete quad and have to take medication to raise my blood pressure during the day while I am up in the wheelchair. It is not uncommon to develop this low blood pressure problem.

You can try wearing an abdominal binder, wearing compression stockings or wraps, drinking lots of water. Ultimately, I had to start taking medication. Two that are often prescribed are Midodrine and Fludrocort.

All the best,
    GJ

In my original posting I stated that my injury level is C 4/5. They also started me on a blood pressure medication. It was the first one you listed. I appreciate your response.

Quote Originally Posted by tinern View Post
    In my original posting I stated that my injury level is C 4/5. They also started me on a blood pressure medication. It was the first one you listed. I appreciate your response.
    Mea culpa, I just didn't read closely enough (I hate it when I do that). Hope the meds are helping.

All the best,
    GJ

It is unlikely that you would get low blood pressure when passing stones. However, each person is different. I would encourage you to get a food urologic work up to determine whT is going on. It is important to inform your urologist of your BP problems so that they can monitor this during any procedures.
    CKF