Hope That Athletes with Temporary Paralysis Can Return to Sports

Hope That Athletes with Temporary Paralysis Can Return to Sports
    Libraries
    Medical News Keywords
    PARALYSIS, ATHLETES, INJURY, SPINE, NEUROSURGERY
    Contact Information

Available for logged-in reporters only
    Description

Research shows temporary paralysis does not increase odds of catastrophic injury.

Newswise - The athlete lays on a field, unmoving. As the crowd watches silently, the player is wrapped securely in a neck brace, loaded on to a stretcher, wheeled to an ambulance, and carried off the field of play. There are many questions in the mind of teammates, opponents and fans, but chief among them are "is it serious" and "is this the end of a career?"

Finding as answer to those question is the aim of an article published in the January issue of Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine.

For the athlete, the feeling that legs, feet, toes, even arms and fingers don't work is terrifying. And for some, that feeling never goes away. For others, however, the paralysis lasts only a short time. Those athletes suffer what is known as a transient spinal cord injury.

"A transient spinal cord injury is temporary," explains Julian Bailes, M.D., chair of the neurosurgery department at West Virginia Unviersity. "But at the time it occurs, no one knows that it is not permanent. TCSI in athletes presents a challenging clinical scenario. The early neurological signs, on-field management of the injury, and triage can be confusing for the athlete, the trainer, team physician and neurosurgeon."

According to Dr. Bailes, decisions about diagnostic evaluation and returning to participation in contact sports are also complex with a transient spinal cord injury.
    "The injured athletes often want to return to competition, making these cases difficult to manage," Bailes added. "By returning to the sport, they put themselves at risk of subsequent head and spinal injuries."

In an article published in the January 2005 issue of the Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, Bailes concludes that a single episode of transient spinal cord injury, with no further indication of injury, does not substantially increase the risk of future catastrophic spinal cord injury.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/509285/

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

what do athletes with permanent paralysis do?

I know of one that has gone on to become a great spokesperson and fund raiser for SCI. I think he calls himself Bouniconti.

In my opinion its very bizzare recearch & false hope!

Why tease Fate & take second chances?

Wise,

Whats your opinion?

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Nick never suffered from sci individually. His son Marc did.

This article refers to ahletes paralyzed temporarily who have then returned to their sport.

His son was an athlete, no?

special olympics!

Cottom Manning of the famous Football Manning Clan stopped before his paralysis got worse!

JJG

Bigb - yes Marc was an athlete. However he never was able to play football again due to his, so far, permanent paralysis.

The article references athletes who were TEMPORARILY paralyzed and then decided to go back to playing or not. Marc never had that luxury, Nick was never paralyzed. You're confusing the two Bigb.

Obed, I don't think I am confused about this, I was answering Chris2's question
    Chris2

posted 01-19-05 10:04 PM
    what do athletes with permanent paralysis do?