Thread: Walk-in tub/shower for quads

Walk-in tub/shower for quads

I'm a C5-6 quad. I was looking into getting one of the walk-in tubs/showers to make bathing easier. I thought I could eliminate my shower chair which is so uncomfortable and just use my lift to get in and out. Does anyone here use one of these walk-in tubs? If so, how do you like it?

If you have an accessible shower, it may be a whole lot less expensive to find a comfortable shower/commode chair than to retrofit a bathroom with a "walk in tub." They are not inexpensive. And then factor in the lift you would need to transfer into and out of the tub.

All the best,
    GJ

Are you talking about a ceiling track lift? A floor based mobile lift would not work with one of these walk in tubs. Why not just put in a soaking tub if you are going to access it with a lift??

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you talking about a ceiling track lift? A floor based mobile lift would not work with one of these walk in tubs. Why not just put in a soaking tub if you are going to access it with a lift??

(KLD)
    I have a Sure-Hands mobile lift. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work though.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie2130 View Post
    I have a Sure-Hands mobile lift. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work though.
    Because most mobile lifts cannot swing you over a tub without the floor braces going under a tub. None of the walk ins I've seen have open areas underneath. One of the old style claw foot tubs that are back in style might work with a mobile lift but grab bars are then a problem. This is why hotels need to put non-platform style beds in HP rooms. More people are traveling with mobile lifts but the floor base needs to go under the bed. I have a ceiling lift to my soaking tub and no problems. Also the walkins are rather tall to get over the edges if you get in once the door is closed. I also use a roll in shower for every day use.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.