Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Home Theater Computer

Uh oh... Sounds like they've got you hooked! :-)

I've been super impressed every time I've called up Emotiva to discuss their products. Not like most companies where they put you on the phone with somebody who doesn't have a clue about the product... They actually get you talking to the engineers/technicians and I've always left feeling more confident and ready to spend my money. Now waiting myself on the XMC-1 to spur the upgrade of my home theater processor and potentially a set of monoblocks for my front channels. Still can't decide if I'm going to pull the trigger on a couple XPA-1s or save my dollars and just be happy with what I've got.

Will be looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I think you'll like in a big way!
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

Not hooked yet, but I very well could be soon.

So a buddy hooked up the mono blocks for me today. In an earlier thread I said I'd be grinning if the stereo amp was better than what I had. Well the pair of XPA-100 amps driving my speakers through the XDA-2 pre/DAC has me smiling from ear to ear!

Everything is greatly improved! The big sound stage I had before is now huge! The room is a great room abt 30 x 20 with 12' ceiling and the sound stage use to extend a few feet beyond my speakers, but it is now wall to wall. The bass which was impressive before, i have the equivalent of two 18' subs, is amazing now! It's deeper, more articulate and faster. Mids at least as good. Linda ronstadt plays Tucson often since it is her home town. In my 32 years living there I was able to catch her in a variety of venues from rehearsing Tumbling Dice with the Stones in a large arena to unamplified in a nearly perfect acoustic environment. I know her voice very well, and this is the best I've heard her voice reproduced. Much better than I had. Treble depends on the recording more. On a quality recording it is as impressive as the bass.

Considering I only spent $1,000 the improvement is jaw dropping! My system now ranks up with some of the best I've heard. No, it doesn't rival the mega buck system I mentioned earlier, but the difference in sound quality is a very small fraction of the difference in price.
    Last edited by shakey56; 02-04-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Many thanks to Chass. Great tip!

They have me hook line and sinker!

AWESOME! Glad to hear it!

To be completely honest I'm not all that surprised. They just make dang good stuff for a very reasonable price! Can't understand why anyone would spend the multi-multi-thousands of dollars on the big names when you can get the same performance for so much less!
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad

Chass, I've been checking out your website. I love the casement window motor. As well as the heat pump write up. Solar was one of my hobbies as well. Lots of reading to keep me busy... thanks!

Very cool! Glad you’re enjoying it! Which reminds me… time to get busy and write an update about the heat pump. Please send me suggestions of anything you think I should write about!

Great to have a reader from across the US! Only been to Vancouver once, during a quick flight in to work on a ski lift at Whistler. Couldn’t get over how beautiful and forward thinking the city was.

Now that the amps are pretty well broken in the system is sounding even better. Next step is some of these http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prod...number=TNHFSET to isolate the 2 1/4" maple butcher block platforms I have the amps on, then these http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prod...p?number=TPSET between the amps and the platforms. Will try some mapleshade cables, if this other stuff lives up to the hype.

See I'm the opposite, I'm on a low budget. And my computer geek skills of given way to other interests. If I took this list to a buddy who builds computers, what what I expect to spend on hardware and software?

Hey Van Quad,

Guess it all matters what you’re after. If all you want is a Home Theater PC that can play the whole array of content, interface with Windows Media Center, etc. then you can spec the computer back significantly to something that uses a cheaper/lower powered Intel Core i3 processor. For something like that, I’d say you’re somewhere in the $500 ballpark for hardware/software. If some gaming, photo/video editing or heavy voice recognition capabilities is necessary than I’d step up to the Intel Core i5 processor and you’d be more in the $600-$700 range.

If you’re interested in something post your needs and I’ll try to suggest the hardware/software specs that would meet them at the best possible price using online sources.