Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Home Theater Computer

How do you like that case? I have never used a Silverstone case. Specifically is it sturdy, have lots of sharp edges, are the disk bays setup so putting in the disks is easy and they are snug. How is the cabling?

TIA
    tate.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    What I'm asking is if HDMI can be used for audio ONLY going from the HTPC to the AVR, with video going to the monitor by VGA? As I said earlier, the cables are a hassle to switch, so I'm trying to eliminate finding out by trial and error. I have neither a dedicated video or audio card, but I'm pleased with the onboard capabilities of the motherboard. There are five audio analog outputs, HDMI and Optical SPDIF. There's a good picture of the board in the link I posted in message #5. The monitor doesn't have a HDMI port. I run the HTPC directly to the monitor by VGA. Everything else goes to the AVR and then to the monitor by component video. It gives me a lot of flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    How do you like that case? I have never used a Silverstone case. Specifically is it sturdy, have lots of sharp edges, are the disk bays setup so putting in the disks is easy and they are snug. How is the cabling?

TIA
    tate.
    Case is beautiful. Good pictures if you follow the link in post #5. Well made, 3 good 120mm fans. It's REAL compact, so you have to plan. I used a fully modular power supply, which helps keep cables under control. I have a 2.5 SSD and a 3.5" platter drive; blue ray DVD and a wireless card. All fits and room for more.

ETA: case has lots of places designed for cable ties to loop under.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 12-18-2012 at 07:56 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

HDMI cannot be used for audio only. It looks for a handshake from an HDCP (high definition content protected) video device and if it doesn’t receive it sends nothing. For that reason I have analog and digital optical cables connected from my HTPC to surround sound processor so that I can play audio if my projector is not on. Really a huge pain in the butt!
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chassmain View Post
    HDMI cannot be used for audio only. It looks for a handshake from an HDCP (high definition content protected) video device and if it doesn’t receive it sends nothing. For that reason I have analog and digital optical cables connected from my HTPC to surround sound processor so that I can play audio if my projector is not on. Really a huge pain in the butt!
    Thanks! That's what I suspected - though some on other forums have opined to the contrary.

Has anyone found a Linuxmint 14 codec that will play the most recent *.wma files? I can play the older .wma fine. The new ones won't play, and I haven't been able to find a codec. I don't want to convert each file to a different format.

ETA: Why both analog and digital optical cables from your HTPC to your surround sound processor? Do they do different jobs? Do you pick one or the other with switching? Do they share the work?
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 12-18-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

I don't use Linuxmint I use Ubuntu, but VLC plays pretty much everything http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html and is what I play everything except bluerays with on my HTC. I don't know about the specific file format you mention but it is worth a try.

Thanks! That's what I suspected - though some on other forums have opined to the contrary.

Has anyone found a Linuxmint 14 codec that will play the most recent *.wma files? I can play the older .wma fine. The new ones won't play, and I haven't been able to find a codec. I don't want to convert each file to a different format.

I don't use Linuxmint I use Ubuntu, but VLC plays pretty much everything http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html and is what I play everything except bluerays with on my HTC. I don't know about the specific file format you mention but it is worth a try.
    VLC under Linuxmint 14 won't play the most recent Windows Media (.wma) files and doesn't find a codec that works.

What's odd is that the older Windows Media files that WILL play have the same file extension. At least that's what I'm thinking before my coffee hits.

Here's the file type that won't play. The file isn't corrupt.

Windows Media audio (audio/x-ms-wma)

Attempting to play it returns this:

No suitable decoder module:
    VLC does not support the audio or video format "WMAL". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

Last edited by Foolish Old; 12-18-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Foolish

Ack, it looks painful.

Linux
    Under linux, you can use them with the --enable-loader switch that uses Wine's emulation. You have to put the Windows Media dlls in the /usr/win32 folder.

Basically you have to grab the appropriate DLLs from a windows box and use wine.

You could also try the latest version from the website (2.0.5)

VLC under Linuxmint 14 won't play the most recent Windows Media (.wma) files and doesn't find a codec that works.

What's odd is that the older Windows Media files that WILL play have the same file extension. At least that's what I'm thinking before my coffee hits.

Ack, it looks painful.

Linux
    Under linux, you can use them with the --enable-loader switch that uses Wine's emulation. You have to put the Windows Media dlls in the /usr/win32 folder.

Basically you have to grab the appropriate DLLs from a windows box and use wine.

You could also try the latest version from the website (2.0.5)
    Yeah, there's a few work-arounds, but I'm still looking for a codec. Evidently, .wmal is a lossless windows media audio file. funny that the L in the extension isn't part of the file name and doesn’t show up under file properties.
    Foolish

ETA: Why both analog and digital optical cables from your HTPC to your surround sound processor? Do they do different jobs? Do you pick one or the other with switching? Do they share the work?
    Probably no real reason that’s good enough to justify the extra cabling, but my home theater surround sound processor will not provide onboard equalization for direct analog inputs, so the sound I get is whatever my HTPC puts out. The optical line is different, with my home theater surround sound processor being able to automatically equalize frequencies based on my room response or however I determine I like it.
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

New question: Does anybody have a solution to this problem?

XBMC stopped when it eincountered a bad file or path for a particular song (which it did not identify) in songs I qued in "now playing". Any way to get it to skip that file and go to the next automatically?
    Foolish