Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Home Theater Computer

i don't know about chass, but my 901's, 501's and 101's till rock the world, but i have to admit those little bitty single speaker sure will throw out alot of sound........and that shark007 site was a good tip, but still haven't had any problems with vlc playing anything i throw at it.....and i do like ffdshow, it works well with alot of tweaks........but it is for windows and thats what i run.....i'll have to try the shark codecs.....i recently downloaded a .ape files for music and honestly never had even heard of such........

I have a pretty interesting mix of vintage audiophile quality fronts, dipole/bipole surrounds, and homemade subwoofers.

The front speakers are a set of Bowers and Wilkins Matrix 801 Series 2 speakers I purchased used over eBay from a Sony recording studio that shutdown a few years ago. The side surround speakers are Emotiva ERD-1s with the switches set to dipole to create the impression of sound moving front to back. The rear surround speakers are Emotiva ERD-1s with the switches set to bipole to envelop the rear soundstage. My subwoofers are a pair of custom-designed Kicker CVX15 tapped horns that measure 8 feet wide by 19 inches high by 18.5 inches deep. I’m sure you experienced the incredible output and dynamics of horn technology with your grandfather’s speakers back in the 60s.

To give you an idea of their magnitude:

A picture of my front soundstage with the subwoofers all finished:

My speaker amplifiers are from an Internet direct company called Emotiva. I got turned onto them a few years ago and think they make absolutely killer stuff for a good price. My main home theater amplifier is the XPA-5 rated at 200 W x 5, my secondary amp a UPA-5 rated at 125 W x 5, and the subwoofers powered by a Behringer INUKE3000DSP with 880 W x 2 at 4 ohms.
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

LMAO @ Chass. Very nice indeed. The 801 series 2 are abt as good as it gets without going into the outrageously over priced speakers. They have been one of my favorite conventional driver speakers ever since they came out. Those subs could shake the walls. The next purist who tries to one up you is in for quite a surprise.

The system I mention earlier had 6 Krell mono blocks driving Genesis one speakers. A guy might have to go that far to improve on what you have. I'm officially jealous even if you do have surround sound

Thanks for turning me on to Emotiva. Been looking to replace my amp, and there stuff looks like just the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Thanks! That's what I suspected - though some on other forums have opined to the contrary.

Has anyone found a Linuxmint 14 codec that will play the most recent *.wma files? I can play the older .wma fine. The new ones won't play, and I haven't been able to find a codec. I don't want to convert each file to a different format.

ETA: Why both analog and digital optical cables from your HTPC to your surround sound processor? Do they do different jobs? Do you pick one or the other with switching? Do they share the work?
    have you tried the restricted-extra package? that usually has alot codecs, etc
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Thanks :-) Been extremely happy with the setup overall, but need to stop spending money on amplifiers/speakers and take care of all the hard surfaces in my room to really make it sound like it should. Funny how it’s so easy to drop a grand on a set of speakers/amplifier, but I get sick thinking about spending that sort of money on room treatments when they’d would probably make the biggest difference of anything.

And yes, the subwoofers are obnoxious if I push them to their limits. Between the two of them, a true 125-130 dB from 24-80 Hz at the listening position. Not like that matters because my mains and ears could definitely not keep up, but it’s quite something to see the walls from across the room shaking almost an inch.

If you’re really thinking about replacing your amp check out there XPA-2 stereo amplifier or if you’re really insane the XPA-1 monoblocks.
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad

I would think those subs would go well below 20 Hz, maybe even below 10. My integrated subs are rated down to 17 and they only have an active and 2 passive 10's driven by a 300 watt amp in each. You have much more speaker and over double the power not to mention the efficiency of horns.

Already ordered an XPA 200 (no need for more than 150 watts) and an XDA 2 digital preamp. They are on sale, and with the 30 day return policy I'm covered. One more day on the sale. I might order a pair of the Airmotiv powered monitors to check out in my bedroom. The folded ribbon tweeters have intrigued me for some time. Legacy uses them, and they are very well reviewed.. I love ribbon tweeters, but the big panels like Magnepan are hard to sell to the wife.

The ancillary stuff like room treatments and cables can make a huge difference. Bought a pair of Straight Wire Maestro speaker cable and a pair of matching interconnects after borrowing them from the store way back when I was driving Maggie SMGa speakers with a Tandberg initegrated. They really made that system sing, and I've been using them ever since. They retailed for more than most ppl spent on a whole system back then, but it was money well spent in my mind.
    Last edited by shakey56; 01-14-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Editing ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Chassmain View Post
    I
    My speaker amplifiers are from an Internet direct company called Emotiva. I got turned onto them a few years ago and think they make absolutely killer stuff for a good price. My main home theater amplifier is the XPA-5 rated at 200 W x 5, my secondary amp a UPA-5 rated at 125 W x 5, and the subwoofers powered by a Behringer INUKE3000DSP with 880 W x 2 at 4 ohms.
    You and I have the same amp (XPA-5) paired with a Marantz pre/pro. Those emotiva amps are HEAVY and a great value.

Right now I'm in the process of putting something together for music in my office, but will probably just buy a Denon AVR so I can control it with my IPhone and have bass management, Audyssey, and Pandora for under $500. I'm trying to find some front front ported or sealed bookshelf speakers and a sealed sub.

A couple years ago I bought a large ported sub from Internet direct SV Sound for HT and have been sold on not only their products, but excellent customer service.

You're right about room treatments. Nothing exciting about that. Plus we are acoustically disadvantaged with wheelchair friendly hard surface flooring.

They start losing steam quickly from 24 Hz down, has to do with the design being one quarter wavelength tuned, and how much dramatically larger the wavelengths get as frequency goes lower. Sealed subwoofers rolloff at 12 dB/octave (second-order) whereas these tapped horns rolloff at 24 dB/octave (fourth order). Add-in the lack of acoustic suspension (for all intensive purposes they move in free air), and how much extension increases near this low-frequency limit and the sub overextends, or if properly crossed over fades away to nothing. I doubt anyone would notice the missing frequencies with the dynamics/extreme capability of these subs from anywhere up.

Glad to hear you made your first Emotiva purchases! I’ll be very excited to hear what you think. Granted, I moved from a cheap integrated amplifier to separates when I made my first purchase with them, but have been beyond overwhelmed with everything I’ve bought. Also very curious about their powered monitors… depending on the sound/output level they might be the perfect setup so that one of my buddies can start doing larger live performances.

Have a bunch of do-it-yourself room treatments planned for the coming summer. Guess we’ll have to see if I am the blowing all my money on a solar hot water heater or save some for the stereo.

And you definitely aren’t kidding about those hard floors… Man do I ever have some nasty reflections. SVS makes very nice stuff… No surprise you’re very happy with their subs.

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass View Post
    You and I have the same amp (XPA-5) paired with a Marantz pre/pro. Those emotiva amps are HEAVY and a great value.

Right now I'm in the process of putting something together for music in my office, but will probably just buy a Denon AVR so I can control it with my IPhone and have bass management, Audyssey, and Pandora for under $500. I'm trying to find some front front ported or sealed bookshelf speakers and a sealed sub.

A couple years ago I bought a large ported sub from Internet direct SV Sound for HT and have been sold on not only their products, but excellent customer service.

You're right about room treatments. Nothing exciting about that. Plus we are acoustically disadvantaged with wheelchair friendly hard surface flooring.
    Consider going with powered monitors then just stream music from your main system into the monitors. I have these http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=AUENA5PL in my bedroom, and they are impressive. The airmotiv would be a step up.

Tons of options for streaming, and most will access pandora etc, and many can be run by a smart phone.