Thread: Console Sink for the bathroom... any recommendations?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Console Sink for the bathroom... any recommendations?

Thinking of changing out the regular pedestal sink for a console sink in the bathroom. Would like to get around 30" between the legs of the sink so I can skoot underneath the sink instead of banging into the pedestal or having to do the whole sideways on action etc.

Anyone else have any luck finding one? any recommendations. Some of these sinks are a little expensive so something a little less spendy would be nice.

I like this design, but fear the legs are not wide enough, yet to find the spec on the width of the legs.

Two specifications just as important as the width between the legs of a sink like the ones you have pictured is (1) the distance from the wall to allow you to get close enough to the sink without hitting your toes or footrest on the wall behind the sink, and (2) the clearance height from the floor to the lowest point on the sink to allow your knees full access under the sink.

Once you find some sinks you like in this style, you may need to contact the manufacturer to get all the specifications that are important for you.

All the best,
    GJ

I cantilevered a sink out from the wall so it needed no legs, only 45 degree supports at the sides - see this thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...highlight=sink. You can just see one of the supports on the right side. The sink was not a special accessible sink, just the one I found that had the drain farthest towards the back end.
    I could take a more informative pic than the one in that thread if you want.
    - Richard

A wall hung sink without legs is much more practical. You just need to be sure that the wall is strong enough to support it. The one we put in looks something like this. The trap cover is easy to straddle in a wheelchair.

(KLD)

Wall mounts really are the best but you need to have good bones behind your walls to mount them on. I know the Kohler website has all the specs on everything they make right there.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

This is what's in my apartment's bathrooms. It's a solid counter (granite or something similar) mounted to the wall. The leg is from Ikea.

Duravit Happy D sink with siphon

NW-WILL this is the same sink as your first picture without the legs. You don't really need the legs for support. You re-enforce behind the sink then it is bolted to the wall.

This is a Duravit Happy D sink with a siphon cover to cover all the pipes. Kohler Stillness faucet. This is my shower room in my old house.

Note, top of sink is 34". Bottom reflective edge of mirror not higher that 40" from finished floor.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Adaag image

ADAAG photo.

Ti.
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 12-13-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Accessible bathroom vanity

I've been a quad since '56 and have designed and built 3 homes since 1959. I have developed my skills to a greater degree since getting a small CAD program in 1994. I have worked with architects and builders. Please go to my architect friends site at www.universalddesignonline.com to view Universal Design homes. You should have at least 30 inches clearance and 24inches of depth. A wall hung sink as shown in the ADA standards, in my opinion and as a user, is insufficient. Scott's vanity looks perfect but not knowing the overall width leaves open the question as to whether or not the width will fit in the space available. If not, the vanity can be 30 inches wide and afixed to the back and side walls and a bracket support to the opposite side wall. I also typically suggest using a 90 degree elbow attached to the faucet's tailspout directing the drain back to the wall and installing the P-trap parallel to the back wall as shown in this illustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    A wall hung sink as shown in the ADA standards, in my opinion and as a user, is insufficient.
    Agreed. Functional accessibility & legal accessibility are not the same.

Scott's vanity looks perfect but not knowing the overall width leaves open the question as to whether or not the width will fit in the space available.
    Mine is 52" wide, but that's moot. Granite/etc can be cut to spec.

Here's the leg used: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/84609085/