Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: blocked Foley emergency

blocked Foley emergency

This afternoon, my Foley blocked. That's never happened in the four years I've used them. I found someone to change it, but not before the lovely sweating and increased blood pressure of AD (used NitroPaste - had to be an afternoon I produced a lot of urine.) What could have caused the sediment that blocked it to form? I have no UTI symptoms - temp is my normal winter 97 or less, urine smells normal, etc.

Fooey.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Have you had any changes in medication or supplements?

Sediment can be caused by bladder stones too.

Did you try to flush the catheter? Sometimes that will help and you won't have to have the catheter changed.

All the best,
    GJ

Alan, do keep irrigation kits around? That's often a quicker and easier way to clear sediment. Sometimes even "milking" the tubing will coax the sediment out. I rarely get UTIs and haven't had stones for years, but for whatever reason my bladder produces sediment. It's quite common.

We have pretty hard water in Arizona. I definitely found that bottled water decreases the amount of sediment that builds up and I don't NEED to change it every week before it plugs up like I did when I was drinking all tap water before. When was the last time you had your bladder checked out with your urologist? It took me five or six years before I had to start changing it every couple weeks learning that the hard way, of course always at night. I'm using a suprapubic catheter 24gauge and it still plugs up at least once within two weeks. Good luck getting it figured out.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

When was the last time you saw your urologist? It should be yearly, but more frequently with problems. Drinking plenty of fluids should help, but it is not the only answer.

You should have a cystoscopy and also urodynamics.

Please get seen soon!

CKF

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    This afternoon, my Foley blocked. That's never happened in the four years I've used them. I found someone to change it, but not before the lovely sweating and increased blood pressure of AD (used NitroPaste - had to be an afternoon I produced a lot of urine.) What could have caused the sediment that blocked it to form? I have no UTI symptoms - temp is my normal winter 97 or less, urine smells normal, etc.

Fooey.
    This happens as a dailey thing with me. Need to irrigate. It's that simple.

It could be what you are drinking, a stone, the catheter itself. These are all prime causes of sediment. Sometimes, things just happen without reason. If it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't worry about it. If it does, I would see a urologist.
    CKF

Thanks for all the replies. Answers follow:

Only medication change is 20 mg. Amitrypiline.

First thing tried was irrigation. No joy. Couldn't even get the saline to go into the Foley.

Normal routine is irrigate daily with 60 cc. sterile saline (which I know doesn't stay sterile.)

I drink 2.5 or more liters of water daily. Baltimore water isn't hard, so that isn't a problem.

Saw urologist a few months ago - all was fine. I called, and was told to keep an eye on things, but don't need to come in unless it happens again.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

i used to have a lot more probs when i irrigated. i change cath every 2 weeks. no probs. haven't irrigated in years.

There are different thoughts on irrigating catheters. Some believe that installing saline helps to keep them patent. Others feel that it doesn't do anything. If you have more problems when you do it on a regular basis, I would tell you to stop and see what happens. You can always go back to it. Also, I do encourage anyone with an indwelling catheter to keep an irrigation kit handy in case the catheter does plug. Sometimes, a simple irrigation saves you a catheter change. However, in my experience, that "save" is usually short lived. However, in a pinch, it buys you time.
    CKF