Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 24 to 25" rear wheels make chair tippier?

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    somebody said 25,s made it harder to transfer. does this setup sound like the wheel would be much higher to make it harder to transfer than 16x17, 2" cog, 15 rear, 20 front? with 3" cushion i got about 5 1/2" from cushion to top of tire.

Your proposed chair was similar to my last one and I did not have a difficult time with transferring...I guess it would depend on how you transfer and your strength/balance...but I did not find it difficult...
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Counterpoint / Fulcrum Geometry / math / play important parts in COG Growing up I had cromie oldies lol old EJ etc... so it is one of those learning lessons about good bad and ugly I modded my first 3 chromie oldies on my own . Then luxuries of light aluminum became more available .
    Being I was tired of my folding chromie modded Ej's

I was flying much and needed lighter chair
    Yrs back I bought a Used 2nd hand chair and it had been customized ( set up ) to previous owner .
    Being back then it was aluminum I knew what to do for my own preferences and had
    welder friend of mine help me mod out my chair / I swapped wheels / made our own holders it was pretty kool I liked the flexibility then donated it to my friend who just passed away she had it year's I am glad she got good use of it ...

I owe tons of my lessons from my dad who helped me with my parts as back then he worked in hospital so I got tons of ideas/ learned about cog etc... via by looking / studying other wheelchair users .

My grandfather had a great little full machine shop . So he made axle blocks etc... He made them with 3/ 8 inch tapped holes for adjustability various heights . his were approx 2 1/2 long and 1/2 thick and 3 inches length . In his basement he was alway's tinkering late @ night He was a very ingenous smart old man I miss Dearly .
    I learned so much from my Dad and him
    All these Life long lessons are amazing .
    They now help me with motorcycle custom ideas as leverage play's such a important part in my life because my shoulders really are shot .

Everything I mentioned above is just from my own experience's so just be safe .

Being all of This varies via brand / model or what modifications previous owners may have done if you buy a 2nd hand chair off fleabay etc... Also

I look on Flea bay often . there is lot's of kool nice fascinating handicapped items there .
    Dump / COG all vary via person individual tastes . For instance I like Gel type of cushions so cushion / Seat styles vary drastically .

Good Luck
    Have a good Day TGIF

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Rollin, I wanted do 24" to 26" on old a while ago and medical place was going to buy from, would not sell me them, for exactly what you say - too many changes. They even wanted Serial Number on the chair. I guess to validate how the chair was originally built. rollin, I NEVER WANTER to transfer to 20" AS I ORIGINALLY TYPED. I hate this damn keyboard on new laptop.
    Surprised to hear this. My DME would not question it and you can buy them on line without a hassle. Maybe because of your insurance??
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

For a new chair none of the points raised early on in this thread apply. The chair will be designed to suit whatever size wheel you decide to go for. The only issue is how the larger wheel will affect transfers and the geometry of your arms while pushing. It might be worth asking if they have a demo chair with similar dimensions that you can try.

2" cog is a very stable axle position, so tippyness shouldn't be a problem regardless of other settings.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    Your proposed chair was similar to my last one and I did not have a difficult time with transferring...I guess it would depend on how you transfer and your strength/balance...but I did not find it difficult...
    i use a slide board and i'm pretty strong, some balance, for a c/6/7 quad since 01. morning, sliding with no pants is when i have to hop the wheel a lil bit. that's what worries me but i do have something to put over the tire, i guess.

yea SuprSi, i kinda changed the thread up, sorry yall.

they don't know demos around my tiny town. i've always had 24,s so i don't really know how big a difference an inch makes.

i push on the tire and at 15" rsh my fingers are about even with the top of the hub, with 24".

rollin...not sure this was mentioned, co corry if repeat. ANY changes on new chair that increase overall height or width. You BETTER MAKE SURE you still can move wheelchair where you live. Height is wheelchair and you sitting on it. Does it still allow you to move under everything you want. Width is largest width of fame including axle + wheel as well as maximum width both front wheels will swing.

rollin..move your head I and guarantee your COG will change.

SCI...as for the selling, I did not like what they said. They claimed they tried get me new K0005 chair 3X and were denied saying it cost more than repair. The chair then was 5+ years old. So many plastic parts were really worn. I just think they were lazy. The TR3 I just bought I went through them. I DID tell them, NO INSURANCE I AM PAYING. YOU DO NOT GIVE ME INTERNET PRICE THEN GET LOST. They dropped price about 25% off MSRP including cushion and a few options. I have quote and spec loaded here.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    rollin...not sure this was mentioned, co corry if repeat. ANY changes on new chair that increase overall height or width.
    Sorry but i disagree with this, your overall height shouldn't be any different, you would just sit further down between the wheels. If you have a lot of camber than it might make you a tiny bit wider, but we're only talking about 1/4"

If your fingers only come down to the top of the hubs larger wheels should be better for pushing, so you just need to decide if you can transfer ok.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!