Thread: Ride cushion on plane?

Ride cushion on plane?

I am taking a 3 hour flight next week. I have a custom ride cushion because I was getting red spots from my Roho. Has anyone sat on their ride cushion on the plane? I feel like the cushion would be difficult to sit on in the plane. I was planning on sitting on my Roho, but I'm worried about proper inflation in the plane as well as my bony butt getting super red.
    C7 ASIA C from Transverse Myelitis. Diagnosed on 12/19/09.

Quote Originally Posted by GGabrielle View Post
    I am taking a 3 hour flight next week. I have a custom ride cushion because I was getting red spots from my Roho. Has anyone sat on their ride cushion on the plane? I feel like the cushion would be difficult to sit on in the plane. I was planning on sitting on my Roho, but I'm worried about proper inflation in the plane as well as my bony butt getting super red.
    The ROHO, even the mid profile, or any normal seat cushion will make it hard possibly for you to be comfortable as your legs may not fully touch the floor and it puts pressure under thighs. You will then need to put something under your feet to prop them up like pillow or a backpack and it drives me crazy as my feet keep falling off or getting unpositioned or hyperextended.

Also, my ROHO with the chnage in pressure will get super hard..and I need to deflate in flight..It also lifts you up and makes your head rest not in the right place and your neck is not optimally positioned.

I am going to go without next time, or invest in a thinner cushion that I can carry on JUST for this purpose. http://voices.yahoo.com/travel-revie...l-2594652.html
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Recently have taken flights of five hours plus. Sitting on sheepskin really worked for my butt.
    Hope your flight goes well

A Ride cushion would not be safe for this use. You should use a different lower profile cushion for this, and do frequent weight shifts. Many use a regular Roho or something like a Stimulite for this (as well as for riding in the car).

(KLD)

I made many flights around the country with my high profile Roho without problem. I do have long legs. No problem in pressurize planes. The pressure is usually kept at the equivalent of 5000to 8000 feet above sea level. I never had any problems when I went to Denver, the mile high city. Airplane pressures are actually adjusted during take off and landings to according to the pressure at the airport level. Even if there were significant changes in the Roho, they are easy to deflate and inflate. I would never trust my cushion with the baggage handlers. I can imagine how many punctures it would have if they could find it at the end of a flight. lol`Even if you do not use it on the plane, I advise that you carry it on. I would argue if they tried to charge a carry on fee. It should be an ADA accommodation.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I also have long legs so I sit on my chair cushion which is a jay deep contour, for shorter legs a low profile jay would work.
    I think jay cushions are easier to sit on in plane, more stable than roho.

Skwoosh do a range of variants on a gel/ foam theme that are reasonably priced - including travel cushions (one called 'pilot'!). I have ordered but not yet received, so can't yet comment on them - I just want a minimal cushion for my wheelchair. But I don't know if they will give you enough support.

www.skwoosh.com/category/travel.html

I have used a ROHO on planes on many occasions with no problems. But I am not as comfortable as 55years on how easy it is. If it starts out at normal pressure, the cushion will be probably be over inflated at altitude, and if you let air out to accommodate that you will be probably be sitting on the bottom of the cushion when you land. This can all be dealt with, but you have to be aware. Plus, of course, do frequent pressure relief, and shifts etc.

No one ever said a word to me about having the Roho with me.

Good luck.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.