Thread: New Injury AIS D

New Injury AIS D

My husband, 65 years of age, rode a bicycle for 40 years, 100 miles a week before crashing August 11, 2012; sustaining severe neck trauma, s/p c2-7, fusion, C6 corpectomy. Was told he was Asia D/incomplete. Four months post injury/surgery he is walking 200 ft., good recovery of left hand, able to feed himself, and right hand starting to return. Can stand up and transfer from bed to wheelchair. He is currently in sub-acute getting two or more hours a day of Physical Therapy. Grateful for any and all return. He works very hard-very hard. Lack of strength and stamina an issue. I am grateful for this site b/c I have learned so much from the experience of others regarding various topics regarding spinal cord injury. Thanks to all.

new injury

You will find many friends and much enchouragement from this site.Sounds like he is making good progress. Every injury is so diffferent, but 2 years ago, I was injured and also had a corepectomy (not fun) surgery. I am walking around the house by myself and when I go out I take a cane. I also have neuropathy which hinders my balance. You will find yourself being his biggest cheerleader!!!

Just know it is OK to be sad also life is quite different. Never give up, and amazing things can happen just when you think you can't hear one more bad thing. Endurance is tough because we tend to tire easily, I still take a nap when ever I can.

Others can chime in, I have a lower injury, but I know there is someone quite like your husbands injury. With lots of love, some tears, and wonderful family and friends around you, you two will get thru this..Best wishes
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Welcome to the Care Cure community, MichelePaula. I am so sorry to hear of your husband's spinal cord injury. I am glad you are looking around the website and checking out the posts. Let us know if we can help.

pbr

Yes welcome!!! His cycling and physical stamina will help him. Get back on a trainer as soon as he can and pedal. Remember the fine muscle exercises as well,work on the core muscles. This will not be quick, but it will come. I am also considered Asia D now but that took years so if he is D already thats cool.PM me if you want I am not on here much but I will give you other ways to contact me if you wish. Take Care

Welcome. I know what your husband is going through. I am a 65 year old, C5-C6 quad for 45 years. He, like me, will get tired of physical therapy as it never seems to end. There are many of us here and feel free to ask away.

Good luck and God speed.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne