Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you like where you live?

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004

Why do you like where you live?

Why do you like where you live?

I like living near Sacramento CA USA because we have flowers blooming all year long. Right now my Paperwhite Narcissus are coming up. These are the same kind you get in a box around Christmas time for indoor blooms. After they are spent indoors, if you have a suitable climate, try planting them outdoors.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Moved to CT to be closer to a sled hockey team. Tired of driving 6-7 hours round trip to play on a team in Arizona. I love how close all the major New England cities are too.

NL and I have this conversation frequently. We live in a great house in a great neighborhood in the east bay of San Francisco. We have good friends here, but also friends and family in the Valley of the Sun, Arizona. We don't have children/grandchildren, so no need to live "close." We could live anywhere (especially where there is a lower cost of living and lower taxes), all we would have to do is move (Yeah, right, all we would have to do is move).

That said, we just don't have a clue where we would live except here. May be part of staying where we are is the "devil you know vs. the devil you don't know." We aren't getting any younger and moving only gets harder the older you get.

Except for high cost of living, high taxes, where we live is pretty close to being the best for us. The good news is that we can manage here and like where we are.

All the best,
    GJ

If money was no consideration I would move us to a warmer climate.
    We have good quality of life as far as living expenses and safety-along with family here and our state is more generous than most with the program that keeps my husband out of a NH. This is home.

There isn't much to like about winter now.It is very long and the bitter cold that affects his breathing if we go out. Winter traps us inside.
    Dave used to ice fish and did not mind working outside on the coldest days being a northern Minnesota guy.

I have such envy for those of you in warmer climates.

I love where I live. I love the four seasons of New England, I love the history of Boston, the accent, the bad driving, the sports and the arts. I love saying "wicked" and calling soda "tonic". I love living in the town I was raised in-one of the oldest towns in the country. I love the colonial homes and buildings-even if I can't get in many places. I love teaching at the elementary school I attended and working with the teachers who had taught me-and most of my family. I love our 5 mile white sand beach and castle estate granted to our town by Mr, Crane (Of the toilets) and the annual school picnic that has been going on for 100 years-through Mr. Crane's will.

I love small town life. I love eating steamed clams at a Masonic picnic, having a Town Crier and a town farm deeded by King George. I love feeling like I belong, that I can make a difference and that I am supported. I leave to see the world-but I always return because there is no place more suited to me.

I suppose that you may have meant how do I like it from a wheelchair users prospective. If that were the case, it is horrible! It doesn't matter though, because I love everything else so much that the challenges aren't as bothersome.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

I designed the house. I was building the house when i got in my accident.

There is talk with the democrats having a super-majority in the california legislature of "modifying" prop 13. Personally I can't think of a more insane thing to do but if it happens the people most affected will be long time land owners on fixed incomes.

I split my time between SF and rural MN, feel I have the best of both worlds. I get to enjoy all the benefits of the big city (mostly great restaurants) and the intimacy of small town america. The only drawback is being away from my kid when I am in SF. It is a beautiful day out here:

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    NL and I have this conversation frequently. We live in a great house in a great neighborhood in the east bay of San Francisco. We have good friends here, but also friends and family in the Valley of the Sun, Arizona. We don't have children/grandchildren, so no need to live "close." We could live anywhere (especially where there is a lower cost of living and lower taxes), all we would have to do is move (Yeah, right, all we would have to do is move).

That said, we just don't have a clue where we would live except here. May be part of staying where we are is the "devil you know vs. the devil you don't know." We aren't getting any younger and moving only gets harder the older you get.

Except for high cost of living, high taxes, where we live is pretty close to being the best for us. The good news is that we can manage here and like where we are.

All the best,
    GJ

I'm 1200 miles from all my relatives.

The only reason I'm here is work. Bailing on the first opportunity,lol

I live in the Northeast Ga. Mtn. area and as much as I love the area I have a goal to one day move to Ga coast or northern part of Florida.

I can't stand cold weather and even though I live in the south where it doesn't get as cold as the northern states it still sucks. I'd be happy with 11 months of summer and 1 month of fall.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3