Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quads! Hand & Arm Function Restoration Discussion

Question Quads! Hand & Arm Function Restoration Discussion

I'd like to get as many opinions and thoughts of people's vision on how to get/strengthen arm and hand function. Everything from stem cell transplants to robotic arms.

How do we get our hands? Are we looking at five years?

What are our choices?

1. Brain electrode transplant
    2. Nerve grafts
    3. Tendon transfers (only option right now)
    4. Chase?? I still can't quite follow the pipeline from lab to bedside
    5. Stem cells – plenty to read about here, but what would hold the best chances for just increased arm mobility.

I'm curious on anyone's thoughts – anything – even if it's strange, off the wall of the obtuse – I'd like to read a discussion where people feel free to share whatever they are thinking – forget spelling grammar active versus passive sentences…

Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    I'd like to get as many opinions and thoughts of people's vision on how to get/strengthen arm and hand function. Everything from stem cell transplants to robotic arms.

How do we get our hands? Are we looking at five years?

What are our choices?

1. Brain electrode transplant
    2. Nerve grafts
    3. Tendon transfers (only option right now)
    4. Chase?? I still can't quite follow the pipeline from lab to bedside
    5. Stem cells – plenty to read about here, but what would hold the best chances for just increased arm mobility.

I'm curious on anyone's thoughts – anything – even if it's strange, off the wall of the obtuse – I'd like to read a discussion where people feel free to share whatever they are thinking – forget spelling grammar active versus passive sentences…

Thoughts?
    Chaz,
    With you on this one, I lost patience with living without anything resembling hand function for the past 10 years and it's driven me fucking mad. Legs, abdomen, bladder,..you can keep the whole lot of it when it comes to having to live without hands. I'd cut them off and install hooks if I could. That said, in the order of things on any researchers priority list, for this generation anyway, we might as we get fitted for prosthetics.

I had tendon transfers here, times two. I did not get wrist function on my left, but my hand is in a functional fist. Being able to put things into that hand and have those things stay there (as long as the weight of those objects is not heavy) has been crazy good. The transfers allow me to do things I'd not otherwise do, have a level of independence I'd be otherwise lacking.

I'll never be a concert pianist or shuffle a deck of cards, but I am more functional due to tendon transfers.

Blog Entries
    Nerve transfers are another possible option. Dr.Brown at UCSD. Is doing them.

My rehab facility proposed me this, but I refused. I was concerned if once the tendons are transferred how the hands would react if a ‘cure’ of the spinal cord arrives afterwords… what would happen then? Would the tendons function ‘cross wired’ restricting full hand/arm function in the future?
    Were in a “baby boom” since 2010 for official clinical trials like never before to a ‘cure’ or function gain… some trials already showed good results and still more to come… I beleve it may be still take a few years by the time research is over and gets out in the market, but I still feel it’s worth the wait…
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

Blog Entries

Moe, wait and lose, or grab opportunity (pun) and

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    My rehab facility proposed me this, but I refused. I was concerned if once the tendons are transferred how the hands would react if a ‘cure’ of the spinal cord arrives afterwords… what would happen then? Would the tendons function ‘cross wired’ restricting full hand/arm function in the future?
    Were in a “baby boom” since 2010 for official clinical trials like never before to a ‘cure’ or function gain… some trials already showed good results and still more to come… I beleve it may be still take a few years by the time research is over and gets out in the market, but I still feel it’s worth the wait…
    get the most out of life now. You don't know what tomorrow brings, wait, yes you do; it'd not a restoration for your hands, the immediate tomorrow anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    What treatments are showing recovery of arm or hand function? I may not be aware of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    What treatments are showing recovery of arm or hand function? I may not be aware of them.
    Chaz, I was refering to the current trials like ChinaSCInet and all others that would fix the spinal cord as we all read about here... if I was in the 60s era and/or knowing for sure nothing's gonna come up, i'd consider doing the tendon transfer, but in this day, my gut feeling tells me not to take desperate mesures that I may regret in the future. even if it would take 10 years more but chances that I may have my hands fully functional and strong again. I did ask if the proceedure's reversable, I was told it wasn't.
    Last edited by Moe; 12-10-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    ― DaShanne Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Moe, wait and lose, or grab opportunity (pun) and
    get the most out of life now. You don't know what tomorrow brings, wait, yes you do; it'd not a restoration for your hands, the immediate tomorrow anyway.

\Tim,

I'm happy that it worked for you but I don't feel losing more than I already had but I still manage thanks to extensive occupational therapy and exercise.
    A buddy of mine had both his arms butchered for a transfer and he wasn't as lucky – nothing happened. Also know another guy who did both arms and got half-lucky; he gained some function in one arm... I understand that each case is different, but the odds of success haven’t convinced me at all. I believe more in the odds of a ‘cure’ instead, I wouldn’t be in the cure section of this forum if I didn’t believe in it.

Moe
    ― DaShanne Stokes

Hands and arms are usually in the end of the list when you listen/read about cure/treatments for SCI. Is a shame because for Quads they are the very first things in the whishlist to recover.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me