Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quads! Hand & Arm Function Restoration Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Moe, Thanks for that one, I need one of those in my toolbox.

Thanks y'all! Hope the idea helps someone...

I'm building other similar gadgets that strap around the arm like that such as a cordless screwdriver/drill (same hand movement to engage the trigger) I'm hacking a Bosch ps11 angle drill/screwdriver for this project. I chose this particular model due to its shape, multiangle head and sensitive multi-speed trigger. With its mult-angle head, I would be able to drill/screw frontwards or downwards with the same comfortable arm position. I will upload a video when finished.

I decided recently to film/share videos of tools/gadgets/tricks I use for home and work and upload them on YouTube, I've got plenty more, the ideas may benift someone here, but it’s got to wait, I’m stuck in bed sideways off my butt for a month or two now treating a bad pressure sore...

Videos of disassembling/reassembling computer and laptop internal components with my quad hands will be on the way as well.

I probably won't be posting here every video to avoid annoying others and respect not to get too off topic here, but to the interested feel free to subscribe on my YouTube channel so you can be notified when new videos are uploaded. I called the channel 'Quadideas'

http://www.youtube.com/user/quadideas

Cheers
    Last edited by Moe; 12-23-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added link
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post

Thanks y'all! Hope the idea helps someone...

I'm building other similar gadgets that strap around the arm like that such as a cordless screwdriver/drill (same hand movement to engage the trigger) I'm hacking a Bosch ps11 angle drill/screwdriver for this project. I chose this particular model due to its shape, multiangle head and sensitive multi-speed trigger. With its mult-angle head, I would be able to drill/screw frontwards or downwards with the same comfortable arm position. I will upload a video when finished.

I decided recently to film/share videos of tools/gadgets/tricks I use for home and work and upload them on YouTube, I've got plenty more, the ideas may benift someone here, but it’s got to wait, I’m stuck in bed sideways off my butt for a month or two now treating a bad pressure sore...

Videos of disassembling/reassembling computer and laptop internal components with my quad hands will be on the way as well.

I probably won't be posting here every video to avoid annoying others and respect not to get too off topic here, but to the interested feel free to subscribe on my YouTube channel so you can be notified when new videos are uploaded. I called the channel 'Quadideas'

http://www.youtube.com/user/quadideas

Cheers

Here's to healing quickly and well, Moe!

Quadideas is cool. Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Justin Brown MD at UCSD is a neurosurgeon who specializes in restoring hand function in SCI patients. I would contact him...

Great thread! Moe, you rock! In case others have not seen Doug's work, his sip'n puff reacher is great.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=diVFJrhY9Kg
    He also built a remote controlled lawn mower for about $2000 for himself. Great potential in this young man.

In the first 3 months of rehab my big challenge was to put my hearing aids into my ears with the more functional right hand. Left was worthless. Getting it into the left ear took some work, but what a victory. Then there was the humiliation of having to ask someone else to clean my nostrils. Lord, the joyful day when my right index finger managed its way into my nose! ahh, the memories...

After several months I found I could depress a key on the keyboard with my right index instead of my thumb (directed by arm movement). Since then the keyboard has been the main challenge for developing finger function, though getting screws and nuts into shelving for out new place is a challenge that takes me hours and hours of swearing and refocusing.

In my fifth year I am getting much improved function in the left hand as a result of the PT for repositioning the left hip. Overal postural improvement changes shoulder position, which is making possible improved finger function on the left. Who knew?

check out this paper on new advances in peripheral nerve transplants: http://www.catwalk.org.nz/content/re...t-new-frontier
    C4/C5 complete since 2011-08-13.

I know Dr Young said that getting hand function back was a long road but what about chest,core, tricepts,forarms, ect? These things would mean the world to a high quad, do these fall under the same guide lines as your hands or more like your legs kinda hardwired? Does anyone know? Im excited to see if any of this changed in Dr Youngs trial.

I believe there is a similar central pattern generator for the arms to assist in developmental crawling as a toddler and to assist with balance when walking (ie: arm sway). This is part of why arm cycling and the Gieger machine are encouraged in intensive rehab programs.

I have a theory/ hypothesis from reviewing research and articles that the more one can activate/ train any limbs the better and more function will return. A good example of this would be the success with the China 6:6:6 walking program. I also hypothesize that the success with Chase restoring breathing and bladder function in rats is due to the fact that these are involuntary signals being constantly sent to the body vs. non consistent voluntary motor functions. Demand equals need for supply.

It would be interesting to see what success outcomes would be with cellular therapy with vibration, FES, or/and magnetic resonance therapy used in fingers to try to activate sensory and motor signals; along with occupational therapy techniques used for stroke rehab.

The sad part is, trials that are going on now have nothing to do with a quad getting return in their hands. It's all about activating the walking generator in the spinal cord by regenerating a sliver of nerves. This trail has nothing to do with quads. There needs to be a whole separate trial involving neuron replacement. This alone could take how long? My theory is years... For a quad today, thinking their going to be living an independent life in the near furture, better think twice....