Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Working 2 Walk: The Book

A mensch are you, my friend.

A mensch is a someone to admire and emulate, someone of noble character. The key to being "a real mensch" is nothing less than character, rectitude, dignity, a sense of what is right, responsible, decorous.

Kate is a rebel. Only a rebel would mention "cure" in rehab in 2001!

A mensch is decorous? Gawdamighty I'm out of the running.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Kate is a rebel. Only a rebel would mention "cure" in rehab in 2001!

A mensch is decorous? Gawdamighty I'm out of the running.
    lol, I vividly remember reading a newsmagazine blurb about Wise Young while hanging out on the rehab floor of Harborview Medical Center. Bruce was still unable to breathe properly and it would be weeks and weeks before he could get rid of the hated feeding tube.

"Cure" was my eff you response to anybody who suggested this was our life from now on.

Decorous marked by propriety and good taste

Now I ask you . . . what on God's green earth could possibly more proper and tasteful than a cure?

Yes, thank you very much. I hope you receive broad backing from the CC membership, especially from the Cure forum and your friends in the Politics forums. But, really, a bood like this will help everyone in the CC community
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by swh2007 View Post
    Yes, thank you very much. I hope you receive broad backing from the CC membership, especially from the Cure forum and your friends in the Politics forums. But, really, a book like this will help everyone in the CC community
    I'm so hopeful that I might actually get to do this. I go to sleep thinking about page design and the fun of mailing them out to rehabs and PTs all over the world.

Wishing you luck in your endeavor!!!!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Full support for both talent and mission here. I veer between visualizing the book hidden in the recesses of a rehab library and it proudly annoying the "SCI doctors" that scoff its reason for being, you know, a BOOK.

I'm in. Thanks Kate for your vision and commitment.

I was in denial because I was asking about how to get fixed in 1992! All but a former Army nurse among my care team were great. My doc, who also was a PPS sufferer, and the PT and OT types were very anti-cure thinking. They weren't even into getting me to wear we were working on dressing in normal clothes. Any mentioning of the ridiculous 'god will fix me' theory rebuttals got me kicked out of group therapy. I mean why would you need fixed if god didn't let you get hurt or allowed it? How about which doctors/researchers had that fix it juju instead?

Love the concept and still wondering where my send book will go.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

LOL Sue. I'm torn betweenn the ppl that NEED the book vs. the ppl that would WANT such a thing.

Ppl that WANT it will find it...if we can get the ppl that NEED it to comprehend.

My dr's at TIRR would have trashed it. My PT was good at his job but too opposed to that whole "false hope" conundrum.

My OT introduced me to CC, via a fellow patient, a teenager that talked about how to work the old PC. Showed me to lay a mouse on its side; real basic and really useful stuff. Man I loved that kid. That talk was far more useful than the ones about "I stood up and prayed", I'll grant you that. Rafferty covered all the bases. He's getting a book from Kate!

Does anyone know if TIRR and other rehabs still have libraries? Has digital really taken over the world? I loved the library in rehab, but I love them all.