Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Working 2 Walk: The Book

Working 2 Walk: The Book

Okay, this has been a dream of mine for some time now . . . I just launched a Kickstarter project to find supporters for a book about the conference. The way it works is, I had to name how much it would cost me to produce the thing and then come up with a variety of rewards for people who want to see that happen.

I have 30 days to hit my number . . . if that happens, the book will be real and each backer will get the appropriate reward. If I don't hit the number, nobody has spent anything - but there won't be a book.

I really, really want to do this. Blogs are nice, videos are cool, but there's something awesome about a book. More than anything I want to see a beautiful, concise, informative book about Working 2 Walk in the hands of every physical therapist, nurse, injured person, doctor, and family member in the world. I only wish there'd been such a thing when all this was new to me.

So, if you can, please help out! If not, pass this around to people you know who might be interested. Just click on the title below to see the details, and thx x 1,000.

Working 2 Walk: The Book

And I already got my first four backers! Thanks, guys.

Five!

Nice idea, you've got yourself a new backer!
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Blog Entries
    Great idea Kate!

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    I really, really want to do this. Blogs are nice, videos are cool, but there's something awesome about a book.
    I agree that books have advantages over blogs and videos, but books have a distinct disadvantage, i.e. as soon as they are published, they often become obsolete.

If you use Wikipedia, then you know that wikis have the advantages of books without most of the disadvantages. The major advantages are that they can be updated when they are obsolete and they are free to read.

So, if you find the costs of publishing books to be a problem, please consider Wikipedia. It is free and the model is well established.

Quote Originally Posted by khmorgan View Post
    I agree that books have advantages over blogs and videos, but books have a distinct disadvantage, i.e. as soon as they are published, they often become obsolete.

If you use Wikipedia, then you know that wikis have the advantages of books without most of the disadvantages. The major advantages are that they can be updated when they are obsolete and they are free to read.

So, if you find the costs of publishing books to be a problem, please consider Wikipedia. It is free and the model is well established.
    Agree, but only if you're using traditional publishing methods. If I get the funding to produce and ship these, I'll be publishing them through lulu.com, which makes it possible for me to update the content easily and often.

Free to read is tough to beat, though.

Here's the update: less than 24 hours into this 30 day effort, and we're almost 20% of the way there. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-walk-the-book

Put my backing in today!

Thank you! I'm feeling SO hopeful . . . as I told somebody earlier today I'm kind of surprised, too.

I was expecting that it would be lots of people making the choice to pitch in $30 in exchange for a book and an ebook -- but so far a lot of the people supporting this are handing over hundreds of dollars at a time. (Assuming it gets fully funded; nobody spends a dime until and unless it's 100% backed.)

Mostly I just want as many people as possible to know about w2w, in any way that makes sense for them.

"There was no reliable one-stop shop to give us guidance about who to trust. There was no single well-educated, well-informed source to tell us the real story about progress in research, which was the very thing we most wanted to understand." Kate

Exactly right Kate! The very reason I signed up as a backer. I have 2 rehab centers in mind that I'd like to have a copy sent to their patient library. I desperately needed to read this and it simply did not exist when we needed it the most. People need to have this information available when they begin their search. New patients should know they are not alone. This will surely help many families. Thanks for taking on this project.