Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E-readers

I have a kindle and I love it, I have the app on my laptop and iphone so I can access my books anywhere.

Kindle.

I guess it all matters what you’re after… If she wants something just for reading than I’d buy something with E-ink designed specifically for reading, i.e. one of the original Kindles (not a Fire). If she wants to do a little more, like browse the Internet, update Facebook, watch movies, then I’d get a full-blown tablet like the Nexus 7.

The big difference is E-Ink uses a reflective medium that works very good out in the bright sunlight, uses very little energy (as in the batteries can last weeks between charges), and is far easier on the eyes compared to staring at a computer screen. For myself, where I already look at the computer screen 10+ hours a day, the last thing I want in a reading device is to be staring at the same ole light emitting screen for more hours! Makes me cross eyed just thinking about it! The joy I get from a relaxing read with my Kindle DX and more or less always counting on the batteries to be charged is far worth the trade-off of not being able to watch a movie/use the web… That’s what I got a computer for!

If I was going to buy an E-reader I’d get the Kindle DX all over again. If reading at night was important to me I’d look at the Kindle Paperwhite E-reader with the built-in light. If I just wanted a tablet to read once in a while and used for media the rest of the time I’d get a Nexus 7 or 10.
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

I have read ebooks since the days of the monochromatic pda's that had AAA batteries in them. Currently I use a Kindle and a Kindle Fire depending on the situation. If you want to read in bed the Fire is backlit and is really great. The Kindle has a longer battery life and has the text to speech option. If I had to choose just one it would be the Kindle Fire because it does so much more.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    I use iPad. Can view ePUB, PeDoFiles, DjVu, etc. Also a does Pages and Numbers and can be used as portable laptop (that does not need to be plugged in to the coal and steam). Can add BlueTooth keyboard. iPad has conventional LCD and can only be used in low light. It's not jailbroken, but what I have been given is good enough.

I have an iriver story. Crashes when you turn past last page of PeDoFile. Its plaintext is only a subset of ASCII and can not exploit overstrike of the e-paper display. I use it to view filtered -Tascii from groff rather than PeDoFiles. Not very useful and can't be fixed as proprietary. It does ePUB too, but that also poorly documented or closed format with no quality tools to create them.

E-readers have cool B&W e-paper displays, but a pitty the systems are useless. Has any one jailbroken Swindle?

Would love to have an e-paper display that could be used with normal system and display adapter.

Note both e-paper and TFT could hold image. Need system to power off adapter when not updating. Such an option on laptop would help battery life.

I would go with iPad as it does other things too.
    Last edited by zagam; 12-18-2012 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Muddled

I have both the PDN and the Nook. What I like about both is that you can get FREE books from a number of sites. Yes some are not best sellers, but they are free. Nook offers them also from their sight. The thing I mis with the Nook is that it has a mini, very small card to read or transfer out of the wifi. the PDN uses the hard card to transfer off the WiFi. I have not bought a book since I got the first one 2 yrs ago. On the Mass transit is good because if you start to read it is downloaded to the device so you do not have to have wifi.