Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-readers

E-readers

My daughter wants an E-reader. What do you have and what do you like about it?

Can you give me some pros and cons of it?

Thanks,
    Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I bought a Sony E-reader when they first came out. It was alright but I found too small (though you can adjust the font but not as many sentences can fit into a screen). Plus, it needed a light for bedtime and had a glare. Synching the books was difficult with the E-Reader software provided but books are cheap at $9.99 for everything.

Then I purchased an ASUS tablet. Love it MUCH more as a book reader (plus the other mobile applications it has). I have my sister's, my and my hometown newspaper delivered on it every morning and it's nice to have access to all that, rather than just the headlines on the internet. I love the colour and the touchscreen too.

If you're looking at an e-reader, I would go the $100 more and get a tablet.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

A tablet will be more versatile than an ereader.
    Daniel

They are pretty awesome. I love being able to buy a book any time of the day or night. I just got a kindle fire and it is great but any of the kindles rock. One of the nice things is if you enjoy a particular author you get suggestions about similar book/authors. I am a huge sci-fi fan and there are tons of books out there that are being epublished that are by little known authors but because of amazon's reviewing system you rarely get stuck with crap. You can pick up a base kindle for 69 bucks and it is well worth it.

I have one of the original Kindles, which I love, but I had to add a light (and a case). Also, I depend on finding WiFi sites to update when away from home as I did not pay for a wireless service. If I were buying one right now, I would get a Kindle Fire...internet access and backlighting being two of the great new features.

Of course if you want to get a tablet, like an iPad, that has the ability to function as a e-reader too...but at a higher price.

(KLD)

I have an older sony ereader so it doesn't use wifi and you have to use software and connect to a computer to upload books. I want to get a kindle so I can get books over wifi. But personally I would NOT get a kindle fire due to the type of screen. Same with a tablet if my main desire was reading books on it. I spend too much time reading on a laptop screen already, I don't want even more eye strain. I love the e-ink display of my sony and would get an eink kindle display. I've heard the newer kindles come with lights on the side so you don't have to use a separate light but still don't damage your eyes from it being backlit.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Blog Entries
    I bought a Kindle Fire, as I wanted to be able to access the web and email. Now that there is a new Fire, the one I bought is only $159. It is good for reading, you can borrow a book for free once a month, and with the built-in WiFi, you can check the web. You can also play games and download quite a few free apps.

After about 6 months of use, I discovered the HP Touchpad with Android Ice Cream Sandwich for less than $200. I really like the Android OS and you can add a Kindle reader app. I bought a used one for $189 on Ebay, and today there are a couple for around $160.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I am a Nook user, bought the new "GlowLight recently, it is much smaller and lighter than before, it fits in my down under bag on my chair. It is a reader only, no browsing etc, but I have too many way of getting online already , when I want to read a book I don't want distractions.

The glow light works great, very adjustable, doesn't wake my wife, and it is so light I can hold it up in bed forever.

Haven't tried others, so can't compare for ya.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I bought myself the nook color last year and love it. I've never used a kindle but i know the nook works awesome in the sunlight and is also easy to adjust the brightness at night. I never really have a problem with the glare or anything like that. There is always great selection of books and you can "borrow" books from other people too....this allows you to save a little money.

If you are looking for just an e reader I would stick with something like the nook or one of the original kindles. But if you want something more look into a tablet.... good luck

I use the basic Kindle and I love it. It does not have an illuminated display, but it's very crisp just the same. I also have the Kindle apps installed on my Android phone and Android tablet, but I agree with McDuff that in that I find it preferable to have a dedicated reading device that eliminates the temptation to distraction to leave what you're reading and waste time on the web.