Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ambien to sleep uninterrupted, despite temperature fluctuations?

Ambien to sleep uninterrupted, despite temperature fluctuations?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Ambien to get to sleep, and stay asleep, to negate the annoying up/down body temperature fluctuations we experience with SCI?

I've been hot/cold, hot/cold all night lately....just want to stay asleep.
    May the fetus you save be gay

Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Ambien to get to sleep, and stay asleep, to negate the annoying up/down body temperature fluctuations we experience with SCI?

I've been hot/cold, hot/cold all night lately....just want to stay asleep.
    Not typical of SCI. That is the way I felt when I used to get UTIs.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Temperature issues while sleeping are a common problem with high level SCI. The nurses at the rehab hospital called it the Quad sweats. Ideally, one could lower the temperature 2 degrees an hour from 72-65 through the night and increase it just prior to getting up in the morning. This is not reality in world we live in.

With that said, Ambien has helped Ry to get to sleep but not to stay there. Lunesta (which claims to help you stay asleep) caused disturbing dreams that required waking to stop. This did not provide a restful sleep for wither of us. Not only did he need waking but I had to listen for him to need to be woken.

We have found that the best option is to be physically tired from exercise and layers of covers that he can remove as he gets hot at night. I do wash his linens ever day because he does sweat in the night. This does not concern me as long as he sleeps well. If he does not get good sleep, he is mean as a snake; like all of us.

IF the temperature issue is new for you, there may be an underlying issue going on. If is has been your history, with a high level injury, it may just be a fact of life that you have to work around. The same is true of all the issues we face with high level injuries.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

being hot/cold during the night could be indicative of many things.

any symptoms of UTI?

are you menopausal?

do you have acid reflux?

any other underlying issues?

if you can it would be good not take ambien on a regular basis and try to establish other bedtime strategies to help you sleep. you develop a tolerance to ambien within 1-2 weeks if you take it everyday.

pbr

no underlying issue. no UTI. just got off meds. no AD. pretty sure it's just because of my SCI.
    May the fetus you save be gay

OK, where does acid reflux come into this? I figured mine is hereditary and on my next trip to my PCP or GI doc we'll go from occasional Tums to Nexium or something else that does not send me toward esophagel cancer or a bleeding ulcer. Yes, my heartburn has gotten progressively worse since 2003. Injury was in 1992.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

some people report feelings of being warm that is associated with heart"burn" or reflux. gastric contents flash up into the esophogus causing that sensation.

pbr

OK, then that's not my ups and downs. My feet actually go from frozen to warm to freezing. I wake up and need Tums then can fall asleep again when it's acid reflux.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

in the event of acid reflux, which is common with SCI, there are a few things that can help. Adjust the HOB up slightly, not too much, so it doesn't put more pressure on hips or sacrum. Wait at least an hour after eating before getting into bed. My brother had a clear reading on his colonoscopy but they found trouble when scoping from the other end and was started on omeprazole immediately due to bleeding from reflux.
    Have you tried different blankets? Down or down alternatives work pretty well since they aren't heavy.
    Since sleeping through the night was my bro's most important priority he has found that Trazadol really helps. He's used it for the last 4 years, and with no daytime drowsiness.
    The other thing to consider is a sleep study, any snoring or apnea at night? Best of luck.

How much Trazadol does he take? Ryan has used (and still does sometimes) it and he does not wake up for a couple of hours after he gets up, even with a good 8-9 hours of sleep. He has learned not to take it except when he does not have to motivate in the morning. The has better mornings with Ambien but it is only marginally helpful in staying asleep. His temperature changes do not bother him, he just sweats but is not uncomfortable. He can raise and lower his comforter as he pleases while keeping his top sheet coverage so the heat or ac running does not create a draft on his shoulders.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09