Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ambien to sleep uninterrupted, despite temperature fluctuations?

Sorry, it's Trazadone, not trazadol. It's an antidepressant that is used alot for sleep.

I've been taking 5 mg. for years. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Hi Theophania,

Are you taking Ambien or anything else for sleep? I've been wanting to try something like it b/c I often don't sleep well at all. Pain as in tingling neurogenic pain sometimes keeps me up, so does a cold, icy feeling when I have no reason to be cold...then especially for several hours after doing the bowel program I sometimes can't sleep b/c my autonomic dysreflexia is elevated causing me to feel hot & terrible with high blood pressure.

I've found a good night's sleep is important b/c it seems to "reset" my chronic neurogenic pain which means it might be more calm when I wake up...maybe.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Kyle, Ambien works really well for sleeping and it works quickly so anyone who needs to self transfer should wait until in bed to take it. Unfortunantly, 10 mg is the tops normally and the body accomadates to it quickly. I try not to take it more than 3 times a week. So if you only take it after your program you should notice some improvement. Ask your doc. And it is a hypnotic so weird dreams not necessarily nightmares can show up but I found them short lived.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsister View Post
    in the event of acid reflux, which is common with SCI, there are a few things that can help. Adjust the HOB up slightly, not too much, so it doesn't put more pressure on hips or sacrum. Wait at least an hour after eating before getting into bed. My brother had a clear reading on his colonoscopy but they found trouble when scoping from the other end and was started on omeprazole immediately due to bleeding from reflux.
    Have you tried different blankets? Down or down alternatives work pretty well since they aren't heavy.
    Since sleeping through the night was my bro's most important priority he has found that Trazadol really helps. He's used it for the last 4 years, and with no daytime drowsiness.
    The other thing to consider is a sleep study, any snoring or apnea at night? Best of luck.
    Hey Lilsister! We need to get together soon. Mine really is hereditary as both my Mom and Grandmother had bleeding ulcers. Grandpa on that side I never remember seeing after dinner without his coffee during the evening news and then to the kitchen for his bicabonate cocktail. He died of esophagel cancer. My Mom's twin is on Nexium now. I tried eating well before laying down, no after dinner drink, watched the grease factor, tried mediating for stress reduction and it still shows up on a regular basis. I add the pillows first and if that and sipping water don't work then I go to Tums.
    I had a very scarey acid like trip the very first time I was given amitryptyline in rehab for pain. We all agreed I should not take those for sleep. People take acid for fun? ACK! I've tried flannel sheets to goosedown duvets. Best so far is a heated rice heat wrap around my neck and now that Maggie thinks it's cold her 82 pounds is keeping me warm and huby overheated.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Ambien is fine if you live alone,but it can be really irritating to a spouse when you are in and out of bed all night.

There is no one magic pill that works for everyone. Ambien is a popular sleep aid, however it can become addicting. There is an extended release option that helps to keep you asleep. However, like all medications, it does have side effects.

I would encourage you to talk to your healthcare provider before asking for ambien. There are several options out there that might be a better choice, if you need a sleep aid.
    CKF

I was thinking NO ambien if you live alone. Somebody needs to pick you up when you fall trying to consume the contents of the fridge.

And somebody needs to lock up the car keys.

Whoa. That stuff is so unpredictable.

Bethany is absolutely right. It is very unpredictable.
    ckf