Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Opioid/Non Traditional Med for Central Neuropathic Pain

Quote Originally Posted by crabbyshark View Post
    Have you noticed any difference?
    Crabbyshark, sorry missed your post. I'm not sure if there is a reduction in the pain from the lithium or not at this stage, which tells you if there is any change it's not life changing. It's still early days, but I think that it might be taking the edge off it a bit for the bad pain days (which are brought on by rapid barometric pressure drop). I haven't increased to 3/day yet, but I'm hoping that if I continue with the lithium I will be able to gradually reduce the dose of my fentynal patches.

Clayton
    "Wheelie Wanna Walk!"

RDF,

Tramadol made my skin so delicate and as an aside all the hair on my legs disappeared, all I had to do was touch anything and it would peel to bare flesh.

I have been on Hydrocodone for 5 or 6 years and the Fentanyl patches low level when we stopped the Tramadol, which I think was useless for me.

Now we have included the Gabapentin to the mix. The pain I have experienced for about 14 years due to the removal of a cyst back then, has for whatever reason exploded in my neck and shoulder.

This pain in my right shoulder and upper arm, has reached the point I cannot lift a cup of coffee to my lips. The rest of my meds are due to my having had the Bends the last time in 1972. The bends caused some kind of damage to my brain and spinal chord. The damage has never been satisfactorily explained to me, so I can describe it further. None the less, age and artheritis have not been any help.

I have all the symptoms of an incomplete SCI which is at best almost impossible to explain. But neuopathic pain, burning, and loss of sensation in parts of my legs as well as other places below my waist, and spasms at unexplained times.

We have tried all sorts of things, like Cymbalta, Viiox other things, I no longer remember, in the late 90's, nothing seems to work for long.

I have been given lidocain infusions based on the lidocain protocol which can be found online. This has really helped my pain level in that I rarely have to take anything for breakthrough pain any more. I'm on oxycodone 40mg ER 2x day and 60 mg Cymbalta. I've had the infusion 3 times so far and it lasts about 3 weeks for me. I've read that it's non-addictive and there are no side effects from it. Maybe you can discuss this with your pain doc.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    I have been given lidocain infusions based on the lidocain protocol which can be found online. This has really helped my pain level in that I rarely have to take anything for breakthrough pain any more. I'm on oxycodone 40mg ER 2x day and 60 mg Cymbalta. I've had the infusion 3 times so far and it lasts about 3 weeks for me. I've read that it's non-addictive and there are no side effects from it. Maybe you can discuss this with your pain doc.
    I have heard of that. The pain doc I went to only did ketamine infusions which didn't work on me.

I need to check into the lidocaine further.

I'm surprised no one has said this but pot helps me. For some reason. It also helps me stay focused when I'm doing stuff but I really think it depends on the strain. I'm going to try to get a card to buy medical marijuana.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I'm surprised no one has said this but pot helps me. For some reason. It also helps me stay focused when I'm doing stuff but I really think it depends on the strain. I'm going to try to get a card to buy medical marijuana.
    Pot intensifies it for me

i know this sounds silly but legs warmers getting mylegs warm

really helps for me but then maybe i and i hope not experincing your stuff

Sounds like some of you guys had good effects with different opioids? I need to try something, especially for the bad pain days...like today. My neurogenic pain is mild for a few days then terrible for a few. It sucks how it takes so long to get a pain clinic appt.

Pot doesn't work to calm my pain at all...in fact pot makes my nerve pain much worse...that's why I haven't smoked in years.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    Sounds like some of you guys had good effects with different opioids? I need to try something, especially for the bad pain days...like today. My neurogenic pain is mild for a few days then terrible for a few. It sucks how it takes so long to get a pain clinic appt.

Pot doesn't work to calm my pain at all...in fact pot makes my nerve pain much worse...that's why I haven't smoked in years.
    Traditionally opiates weren't thought to help much with neuropathic pain, but based on what I've read here over the years it is coming to be accepted in some cases. That said, benefits from them seems to be very much an individual thing, as much so as what particular med you try.

I've read so many posts I don't think any thing out there works then someone told me or tried to tell me that people who have found relief aren't online posting about it they are out living. Sounds good in theory I'm just not buying it
    I guess one could use opiates until you can't hold your head up but then if they aren't working you have to get off the crap and that I hear is a nightmare in itself.

It's ALL a nightmare!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)