Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New TR3

Good point.
    I have been thinking to 25" wheels for a long time and even had ones 20 years ago on my basket ball chair but for a daily chair I tend to think that the wheel may get too much in the way when transferring from lower positions.
    Though I did not try.

Now that I'm looking at my photo, I can see that my fixed aluminium side guard is at the position of a 25" wheel. As I plan to have removable side guards, having 25" wheels might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Good point.
    I have been thinking to 25" wheels for a long time and had ones 20 years ago when I played BB but I was thinking that the wheel may get too much in the way when transferring from lower positions.
    Without observing how you do your transfers, I'm not sure why wheel height would make your transfers any easier or more difficult. I don't transfer over my wheels. When transferring, my chair is positioned at an angle, which takes the wheels largely out of the equation regardless of their height.

Note that a 25" wheel adds only 0.5" (the radius) to the height, so the difference is not that dramatic, but you'll have more wheel (actually, push rim) to work with, which will make your push more efficient.

Regarding transfers, I do them differently depending on the difficulty (height, space around, etc...) but there's a case where having larger wheels might even help me: when getting into a high car I tend to sit on the wheel to get as close as possible to the car seat.
    Regarding efficient push, I must admit that I use both rims and wheels; for this chair I want to have Surge rims to push only on rim, so 25" wheels may help too.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    My legs tend to fall when going up curbs or when I relax.

Judging from your picture, I would say that your seat-to-footrest length, with that cushion, is too great. You need to raise your footrest so that there is more weight on your feet. This will help keep your feet/legs from slipping off.

I had the same problem until I made this adjustment. When you get your new chair from TiLite you will also get two 3M self-sticking anti-skid pads to use on your footplate.

I believe the standard depth of a TiLite footplate is 6". I don't use a calf strap and keep my legs more tucked under the chair than you do -- my toes extend only slightly, if at all, forward of the front edge of the footplate. I special ordered my ZR2 with a 7" depth footplate and set parallel to the ground, not angled back. I might have even preferred an 8" depth.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...2&postcount=14

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post

Judging from your picture, I would say that your seat-to-footrest length, with that cushion, is too great. You need to raise your footrest so that there is more weight on your feet. This will help keep your feet/legs from slipping off.

I agree, but the way he has his feet on the footplate dosen`t help either to keep his feet in place, they are too out.

Look the difference with mines, and mines never tends to fall out of footplate unless in radical situations.

Thanks Ala, the picture may be misleading because there is weight on my feet.
    Plus I cannot adjust my footrest higher because I'm a table tennis player and my knees would not fit under most tables, on some rare tables I must take off my shoes playing in socks!

Joker's footplate is 4.5" and made of carbon without any anti-skid pads, so TR's footplate 6" with anti-skid pads should definitely improve my feet adherence.

Stephen, I don't like my feet to be tucked under the chair, it causes spasms in my legs probably because blood flow is not that great in the ankles. So for me, getting a deeper footplate would mean increasing the seat depth. I would not want to end up with a chair too long, I need to think more about it.

At 6'2" I found 25" wheels to be a big plus for me in reaching my wheels, plus I seem to get much more from them. As for transfers Stephen, it can be an issue if one slides over, such as I do, because the wheel is that much more forward to clear; but it didn't take much to get used to it.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I took my calculator and if I increase frame depth by 2'' and use 25" wheels, new chair will be 1.25" longer than current one.
    I can accommodate this change.
    It could be even less because I was a bit conservative about the COG that I set to 2.25 but it's closer to 2.75 on my chair.

Stephen, how did you order custom footplate depth?
    I could not find it in order form options.

My current footplate is 15/16 inch thick (tube + plate), how thick is TR's footrest?