Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for extra long tab pushrims

Looking for extra long tab pushrims

The standard distance for a long tab pushrim is 1.25 inches on center of the drilled hole to the edge of the rim. With wide tires, I have very little room for mu hands.

I really would like to find some extra long tabs. Ideally, I'd like 2.5 inches.

The best solution I've found so far is getting some rivnut drilled rims and welding my own tabs on.

Bike-On (great company!) contacted the manufactures of their push rims. The only one that responded was Natural fit. They were not willing to sell an un-drilled or un-anodized push rim, but they do offer rivnut drilled rims.

If anyone knows a company that will sell a solution for me, please post.

These are my preference in order:

•Aluminum pushrims with 2.75" long tabs anodized or un-anodized drilled at 2.5"
    •Aluminum un-anodized pushrims with no holes or tabs.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Have you tried using longer screws and longer posts with standard rivnut push rims?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Have you tried using longer screws and longer posts with standard rivnut push rims?
    I'd first have to weld a receiving hole onto the wheel rim to hold the bolt that went into the rivnut. If I'm going to have to weld, I'd rather do the welding on the push rim.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

If you don't want natural fits, the other solution would have to be custom made. Perhaps a machine shop could build you some handrims to your specs, or maybe modify extant handrims to make the Q tabs longer. I too would be leery of welding or drilling into the rims of my wheels themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    I'd first have to weld a receiving hole onto the wheel rim to hold the bolt that went into the rivnut. If I'm going to have to weld, I'd rather do the welding on the push rim.
    Okay, I'll get on the right page. How about sister welding (or bolting) extension tabs on the existing tabs. And then switching out a little bit longer bolts on the rims so you can place a washer to fill up the gap.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

How about a retrofit? My first thought would to cut and grind the tabs off, cut and grind and drill new tabs from thin piece of stock, and (have someone else) weld them on.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I was really hoping that someone out there knew a source for a set that was pre made.

If I don't find that, I'll go ahead and weld new tabs on a push rim with rivnuts. I think that it will be easier to weld on a clean surface than it will to grind off an old weld. I can do the welding, but I'll have to take it to a local shop to re-anodize the aluminum.

Welding an extension tab onto an existing one is a good idea, certainly the easiest, but it doesn't look as clean as putting a new tab on.

I would suggest not welding anything if you don't have to.

If you order a set of riv-nut style pushrings with tab style wheels, you can make are some L-brackets with a hole drilled in each end that attach with just a screw to the pushring, and a screw and a nut to the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post

If you order a set of riv-nut style pushrings with tab style wheels, you can make are some L-brackets with a hole drilled in each end that attach with just a screw to the pushring, and a screw and a nut to the wheel.
    I tried exactly what you suggest and could not get them to align correctly. I happened upon some cheap used vinyl post pushrims that I wanted to adapt to my tab spinergys. I used the method stated above as best as I understand you wrote it out. Great minds think alike. However I never got the holes to line up close enough for practical purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    Agreed. However due to the alignment problem I encountered, I suggest you get a spare wheel to use as a jig to insure exact alignment.