Thread: CP triggered by fever - anyone else ?

CP triggered by fever - anyone else ?

In my 35+ year battle with bad Central Neuropathic Pain, amongst the many known triggers that can set it off - #1 is:

FEVER of any grade. I rarely get the flu, etc. but when I do it is an absolute CP trigger once fever is onboard...as bad as any type CP I have otherwise experienced...horrific. So my question for the long-terms like me:

Does fever trigger your CP ?

My point of this, is that I avoid flu vaccinations every year because I don't want to get the associated known fever they will produce (common knowledge), so:

Have any of you long-term CPers had your pain initiated by the flu vaccination ?

It could be I just have a rare type of CP trigger, like caffeine does (not as bad but still bad if you know what I mean).

When I say trigger, I mean it initiates a new CP pain episode (one that can be days long) until things finally subside.

I want to protect myself from the flu, but anyone would avoid torture if known to cause it...it's a real dilemma for me now at 58. Thanks for your time. Jim
    '76 L4 GSW incomplete
    (cauda equina)

Getting the flu shot has never bothered me. The one year I missed it and got the flu....now that was ugly! Made my cp go out of sight! A lot of things make the cp ramp up. Simple things like the temperature.....too hot, too cold, and I'm in trouble. Any kind of illness makes the cp worse, that's why I get the shot. An allergic reaction is the only reason I can think of for having a problem with the injection. I've heard the nasal spray is not a good idea, but can't remember now just why......

When I get sick, as I am now, spasms and fatigue always get worse.

After my flu shot this year, I was achey and slightly feverish for about 4 days. The vaccine works by triggering and activating the immune system to recognize and kill the live flu 'bugs'. So yes it sets off inflammatory responses in your body, and can trigger CP. Rest and eat well and give your system time to get back to usual. Some people report feeling icky for a week or two after the shot. Being older seems to increase the 'side effects'.

If the vaccine sets off that sort of pain, imagine what a full-fledged case of the flu can feel like. The last time I had the flu I was very sick for 2 weeks and 4 more weeks before I had my stength back. This is supposed to be a bad year for the flu, but the vaccine matches the circulating strains so get a flu shot yesterday.

"Some people have cold-like symptoms, including sniffles, headache, runny nose, sore throat, cough, and body aches for a day or two after getting the flu shot. In some cases, you may also experience a low-grade fever." http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/fact-sheet-vaccines?page=2

Thanks all for the info. Victoria I had the flu a few years back & it was off the charts bad...like you it took 2 weeks & a month recoup...CP lasted about a week...indescribable.

The flu & symptoms were totally nothing, it was all about the CP episode.

I have a very incomplete (walk w/ a below-knee AFO on 1 ankle, sex function normal) L4 gunshot cord fraying - am 'fortunate' that breakthru is very episodic, maybe once a month. But when it arrives, it saved all it's elegance for the battle in the fire. Was shot in the back w/ a .38 in a robbery/attempted homicide where I worked while in college at Lubbock.

Ash I hope you're right - I'm as honed in the fire as any, so may take the plunge and fight the fight if it comes...strength is my trump card.
    Last edited by Window; 12-04-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    '76 L4 GSW incomplete
    (cauda equina)

I had a fever and was achy the day of the vaccine this year, but just that day I think. I ended up getting it early unexpectedly so I had other stuff planned to do that day, but ended up staying at home after the Drs appt because of how I felt. My arm was swollen and sore for about a week though.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

A fever and infection increase my regular, burning neuropain and also gives me pain which I call "jolts". They are like repetitive electric shocks in the same place. They can be every 30 secs when they are bad. This is the worst suffering ever for me. Ibuprofen and oxycodone help with this type of pain whereas it doesn't help with my regular neuropain.

I avoid the flu vaccination myself just because it is very controversial. But since you opt out of getting it for very good reasons. Why put yourself in a situation that could possibly cause a fever and spasms to start up. I would start thinking about taking a vitamin c supplement and you can even add vitamin e and d to it to help protect your immune system.