Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think -> TED Talk : Janine Shepherd: A broken body isn’t a broken person

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

What do you think -> TED Talk : Janine Shepherd: A broken body isn’t a broken person

To the SCI's out there, what do you think of this?
    Maybe I'm just way to cynical and a complete curmudgeon.
    Interested to hear what others think.

TED Talk

Janine Shepherd: A broken body isn’t a broken person
    http://www.ted.com/talks/janine_shep...en_person.html

BIO:
    http://www.ted.com/speakers/janine_shepherd.html

Why you should listen to her:

Janine Shepherd is a walking paraplegic; she is also a pilot and aerobatics instructor, as well as a motivational speaker and author.

A champion cross-country skier in training for the winter Olympics, Janine’s life changed forever when she was hit by a truck during a bicycle ride in the Blue Mountains of Australia. Doctors did not expect her to survive and, when she did, they warned her that she would never walk again.

Janine focused intently for years on healing both her broken body and crushed morale. A turning point came watching small planes flying overhead. She decided: “If I can’t walk, I’ll fly.” While still in a full body cast, Janine was lifted into an aircraft for her first flight. Within a year she had her private pilot’s license. Later, she earned her commercial pilots license and instructor’s rating. Janine recently served on the board of Australia’s Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and became its youngest -- and only -- female director.

Janine is a the patron of the Australasian Spinal Research Trust and is committed to helping find a cure for spinal cord injury in the near future. In the meantime, she seeks to inspire those coping with physical disability. She is the author of five books, including The Gift of Acceptance and Never Tell Me Never. And while doctors told her after her accident that she would never have children, she now is a mother of three.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I don't begrudge her, her recovery and think it's wonderful.

I wish everyone can get every bit of recovery that's available to them.

As far as moving society forward in the cause of finding a method to repair a spinal cord injury, I think it's a huge fail. Able bodied people watching this will think that with enough work every paraplegic should be walking. Even though she can ambulate without a wheel chair there is no discussion of the usual hiddens; bowel, bladder, sexual function, depression and pain. I don't know but after watching the video I am also struck, that she doesn't suffer any financial restraints either. So I am really lost on how this helps anyone! Just some warm fuzzies for the armchair watchers.

Cynical about what? That her injuries were initially significant? Her delivery? Her message?

I saw this a few days ago, and personally I thought the delivery was a bit over the top but I think that's a trapping of the motivational speaker genre.

Messagewise, I have mixed emotions about descriptions or recovery that are so triumphant and succinct only because it is so much more complex and messy in real life, at least in my experience. As a general rule, I would prefer the terrible reality of this and other conditions be addressed just to incite some urgency. So that more people understand that something should be done.

I don't doubt that she got lucky and worked her way back from an initially poor prognosis.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

You wrote some more while I was writing, and I agree with what you wrote.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

I wonder if I can get a gig...walking quad that can JUST walk past 1st class. Then spend 20 hrs. praying I don't shit myself and have to throw mysef off a damn cliff as penance.

Hockenberry covered this in his book. He fully expected to be thrown off a cliff after he soiled the home of a lovely Israeli family.

They stripped him down, cleaned him off and took him home.

Part of me would prefer the cliff!

Ever since tooley threatened to shit himself as airplane vengeance I've lived in fear. It's not if, it's when.

They tried to take my imodium in maui last night. I just thought Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    I don't begrudge her, her recovery and think it's wonderful.

I wish everyone can get every bit of recovery that's available to them.

As far as moving society forward in the cause of finding a method to repair a spinal cord injury, I think it's a huge fail. Able bodied people watching this will think that with enough work every paraplegic should be walking. Even though she can ambulate without a wheel chair there is no discussion of the usual hiddens; bowel, bladder, sexual function, depression and pain. I don't know but after watching the video I am also struck, that she doesn't suffer any financial restraints either. So I am really lost on how this helps anyone! Just some warm fuzzies for the armchair watchers.
    ditto

i once spoke at our hometown school, i owed the principal one for being such a good student. lol

i'm sure he ment for me to be inspirational warm fuzzy and i was until towards the end until i got into just a little of the real stuff, i could see girls tearing up and some boys near it and then backed off.

i have often wondered if that inspired by showing you can move on dispite stuff or did it inspire some to want to become researchers to cure stuff
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

just another super crip story of over coming and winning through. maybe we should put her out of our collective misery and take a cricket bat and break her back properly.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    [snip]

Hockenberry covered this in his book. He fully expected to be thrown off a cliff after he soiled the home of a lovely Israeli family. [snip]
    As I recall it was a Palestinian family.

Every word, every gesture so scripted. Such a studied, Tony award-inspired theatrical performance. How do you take an authentic experience and make it sound so inauthentic, so affected? As you can tell, I wasn't won over.

As I learned after I had my spinal cord injury that each injury is unique...two injuries at the same level can have vastly different outcomes. When I was in inpatient rehab at Kessler in northern NY, there was one guy who I shared a room with who had an injury at a similar level to mine...he was using a wheelchair like I was but he was slowly beginning to walk again while I was certainly not and haven't since because my injury was clearly much worse...
    For what it's worth, I remember several years ago when the famous NFL running back Emmitt Smith of the Dallas Cowboys had a cervical level spinal cord injury...but he was only temporarily paralyzed for a few hours because his injury just wasn't as severe as it could have been.
    This lady's story is nice...more power to her. Still, as we all know, sometimes spinal cord injuries are so severe and the damage is so bad that no amount of hoping, wishing, praying & exercising can make paralyzed muscles move if the link between your muscles & brain has been damaged....I wish hoping, wishing, praying & exercising worked to cure spinal cord injuries.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust