Thread: C6-7 diet/workout

C6-7 diet/workout

Just joined a gym and wondering how often I should be going and what types of exercises I should be doing. I have triceps and biceps and gloves that help me hook to machines. Also, wondering about a healthy diet to help me build muscle fast. I'm about 6 ft and weigh 150 so I'm wondering if I should take creatine..I don't have a quad belly and do not want one. 6 small meals a day to keep my metabolism going? I studied a little bit in college about body types for working out and found out that my type is mesomorph...dunno if that helps. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Keep working those triceps, biceps and core muscles. I wish i did not have a guad belly, but i do lol, but i still work my core.

What are your goals?
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

I am a C 6-7 complete quad who has 58 years of experience to share. I am 6'1" and weigh about 155 so we are quite similar. I am assuming that your injury is complete and that you are trying to maximize functionality rather than body building.

For SCIs the recommended diet is high protein, high fiber, and low calorie. I prefer natural proteins from meat, fish, beans and rice, etc. If you are eating well there should be no reason to use protein supplements unless you have some other goal. The carbs are dictated by your activity level. The last several years that I was working and had a demanding job and schedule I needed to pack in about 3500 calories a day to keep from losing weigh. Now that I am retired and using a power chair the calories have to be limited to about 2000 to hold my weight down.

With regard to exercise, it sounds like you are quite active. Two or three days a week in the gym should be plenty. If you do too much you can speed the development of "overuse syndrome." This refers to the wearing out of muscles and joints prematurely. Shoulders and arms are the usual victims because they are doing the work of both your arms and legs. Wheeling and transfers take a toll on the biceps and shoulder joints. Your biceps are getting more than typical use from wheeling a manual wheelchair. Pushups in your wheelchair and during transfers should be minimized. Pushing up with the arms parallel to the body pushes the head of the humerus upward toward a small bone (acromion) that runs across the top of the shoulder joint. There are rotator cuff ligaments that run between the two, and they get squeezed by the pushup action. That can cause inflammation and damage, resulting in much pain. I encourage you to click on the link at the top of my signature space. It will take you to a guide on preserving shoulder function.

Unless your injury is incomplete and you have some use of your abs You will eventually develop a quad belly. When the abs atrophy your abdomen is left with mostly skin and fat as a covering. When you sit or stand your organs will move downward and the skin covering will stretch and abdomen will protrude. The rate atrophy occurs varies considerably between individuals. No one has found a way to prevent this. There are a lot of threads here that deal with it.

And do not forget aerobics. Heart disease is a major cause of SCI death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CdwOe-5OaA

Hope this helps.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I go to the gym 3 days a week. At this point I transfer onto a machine for each of these besides the last 2. Soon I'm going to trade some of the machines for dumbells to mix it up. Some of them I have to wrap a belt around the machine and strap myself into it. Take it easy for awhile until your body gets used to it. Start with a small routine for a couple weeks then add onto it. It is taking me awhile to up my weight on the shoulder press because I went so long without doing any kind of over head lifting like that. Heres my current routine...
    Bicep curl 3x15
    Chest press 3x15
    Pec fly 3x15
    Row 3x15
    Shoulder press 3x15
    Lateral raise 3x15
    Tricep 3x15 sitting in my chair doing extensions using a rope hooked to a cable machine
    Krank cycle 3 min on, 1 min off. 5 times

If your using the wrist wraps with hooks be careful not to hurt your wrist. I used them for pull ups and the row machine but it killed my wrists so I got a active hand gripping aid for my weaker hand and no more wrist pain when pulling heavy weight. http://www.activehands.co.uk/

Then 1-3 days a week I swim laps usually doing 400 meters per session.
    For the quad belly I use a empi 300pv stim unit to stim my abs 30 min to a hour every night. I was just without it for a week and can tell a difference.
    I take Controlled Labs Orange Triad, its a multi vitamin with joint support built in, Orange oximega fish oil that helps lube your joints, and whey protein after my workout.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

your small. high protein diet moderate carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BTB View Post
    Just joined a gym and wondering how often I should be going and what types of exercises I should be doing. I have triceps and biceps and gloves that help me hook to machines. Also, wondering about a healthy diet to help me build muscle fast. I'm about 6 ft and weigh 150 so I'm wondering if I should take creatine..I don't have a quad belly and do not want one. 6 small meals a day to keep my metabolism going? I studied a little bit in college about body types for working out and found out that my type is mesomorph...dunno if that helps. Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    None of the factors you mentioned about mesomorph have any effect whatsoever on anything. Do not take creatine. Having a gut has everything to do with body fat % and not what exercises you do (although I have heard that some quads have their organs 'sink' causing 'quad belly' though nothing you can do about that).

The number of meals a day does not affect metabolism, in fact there is a lot of evidence to suggest fewer meals is actually better.

In terms of what exercises it depends on what you can do. Nick Scott is a wheelchair BB'er but he is an incomplete and is a paraplegic. You might look him up though to get an idea of things you might be able to do. I don't know your abilities so I don't want to comment too thoroughly...a physiotherapist might be able to comment with more authority. As well, you might want to look around your area for accesible gyms.

edit: I would also endorse the overall diet plan that sci55 suggests, though I would suspect with 3000 calories a day you will get fat quick. For now just keep track of what you're eating, how many calories and see what happens to your weight.
    Last edited by cripwalk; 12-10-2012 at 01:42 AM.

keep a log of everything you eat too. really helps while training.

Wouldn't supplement with creatine, it really only adds water weight to the muscle. Find a protein you can stomach a couple times a day, presonally I like Muscle Milk (with milk, not water, tastes better that way). I found that taking an amino acid mix during the workout helps too. I like Dymatize Elite Recoup in the orange flavor. I'm C6/C7 too but function closer to a T-4.