Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 4-Aminopyridine treatment for chronic spinal cord injury

I would really like to try it but I'm having trouble figuring out where to start. componding pharmacies and such.. I wonder if my physician would know anything about this drug, god knows she loves to prescribe them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    I would really like to try it but I'm having trouble figuring out where to start. componding pharmacies and such.. I wonder if my physician would know anything about this drug, god knows she loves to prescribe them.
    Eric, I have posted many times on this subject. Just do a search for 4-AP posts that I have made on this site. You do need a prescription.

Wise.

still taking 4-AP?

I'm new to the discussion...is anybody still taking 4-AP, and still receiving some benefit?

both ms & spinal cord injury compounded by scolios

Dr. Young,
    Taking 5 mg 6 am & 6 pm standard compound (not time release) prescribed for ms. Little attention to spinal injury...just present as 52 year old woman with hunchback & ms. Reality is have untreated childhood scolios which may be from birth or resultfrom fallig out of tree on tailbone when 12. In any case, i had an episode this weekend in which a simple hemrhoid band procedure resulted in it rotting inside me & bleeding into my colon....ended up bleeding out 2-3 pints of blood & required emergency room care. Combined with sleep deprivation from weeks of split shifts at work & visiting daughter without a/c, i exhibited symptoms of mania, ADHD, & assigned unusual importance/familiarity with people, places, and things others saw but viewed as ordinary!
    After returning home & consulting with professionals who know me, it has become apparent i caused the hemmorage by taking recommended doses bymy neurologist of omega 3 and gingkgo among others! Being treated with combo of antibiotics & oral steroids for the cognitive, head & upper body tingling, etc i'm having.
    I've had great results with the aminopyridine combined with prescribed almost daily yoga focusing on curvature of spine first time in my life....1st gave up wheelchair, then cane on may 6th! I'm seeing from your post that the later dose may be contributing to insomnia & perhaps i could benefit from taking more. Since my levels are off due to rectal bleed out & will be starting the prednisone on sunday, my neurologist haas instructed me to take the 2nd dose 6 hours after 1st dose, has ordered an mri (haven't had one since 2008) & work has extended my vacation so i can care for myself (split shifts will end upon my return next week).
    Considering all the above, is there any other information my neurologist Dr. Guarnaccia needs? (He's from CT & comes to RI on thursdays to run the Care New England MS Center .)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmiller1960 View Post
    Dr. Young,
    Taking 5 mg 6 am & 6 pm standard compound (not time release) prescribed for ms. Little attention to spinal injury...just present as 52 year old woman with hunchback & ms. Reality is have untreated childhood scolios which may be from birth or resultfrom fallig out of tree on tailbone when 12. In any case, i had an episode this weekend in which a simple hemrhoid band procedure resulted in it rotting inside me & bleeding into my colon....ended up bleeding out 2-3 pints of blood & required emergency room care. Combined with sleep deprivation from weeks of split shifts at work & visiting daughter without a/c, i exhibited symptoms of mania, ADHD, & assigned unusual importance/familiarity with people, places, and things others saw but viewed as ordinary!
    After returning home & consulting with professionals who know me, it has become apparent i caused the hemmorage by taking recommended doses bymy neurologist of omega 3 and gingkgo among others! Being treated with combo of antibiotics & oral steroids for the cognitive, head & upper body tingling, etc i'm having.
    I've had great results with the aminopyridine combined with prescribed almost daily yoga focusing on curvature of spine first time in my life....1st gave up wheelchair, then cane on may 6th! I'm seeing from your post that the later dose may be contributing to insomnia & perhaps i could benefit from taking more. Since my levels are off due to rectal bleed out & will be starting the prednisone on sunday, my neurologist haas instructed me to take the 2nd dose 6 hours after 1st dose, has ordered an mri (haven't had one since 2008) & work has extended my vacation so i can care for myself (split shifts will end upon my return next week).
    Considering all the above, is there any other information my neurologist Dr. Guarnaccia needs? (He's from CT & comes to RI on thursdays to run the Care New England MS Center .)
    mrsmiller,

What a complicated life situation you had. My suggestion is to make sure that your fluid intake is consistent. 4-aminopyridine is primarily cleared by urine output. At 5 mg twice a day, your dose is reasonable. If that is helping your MS symptoms, it is a good reason to continue taking the drug per recommendation of your doctor, as long as you make sure that your fluid intake has not changed dramatically.

Wise.

Dr. Wise. Just a Q - I believe in some models it is suggested (like the dr. Kerr study some years ago) that by stimulating signaling not only by focusing on the spinal cord itself, they did, but like the “endpoint” like a motor function or a sensation function outside the spinal cord, can be stimulated, not only by rehab, but like say for chronic SCI one not only try to stimulate the spinal cord and its possibilities to expand all the way trough the spinal cord and the peripheral pathways, but also that one could meet this growth by also a kind of stimulation the opposite way say from muscles by also finding remedies that can meet the spinal cord cell therapies at the same time by boosting the “endpoint/meeting point” for better effects. Like, muscles and brain “yelling for brain and spinal cord signals” to stimulate both ways, like a good meeting? Methinks that if we want something to go somewhere something should be calling, both ways. And then, say if we could boost such a calling - both from the spinal cord and the organs - it could perhaps be a good thing to look at. What do you think? I don't think such has been looked at in a bigger perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Dr. Wise. Just a Q - I believe in some models it is suggested (like the dr. Kerr study some years ago) that by stimulating signaling not only by focusing on the spinal cord itself, they did, but like the “endpoint” like a motor function or a sensation function outside the spinal cord, can be stimulated, not only by rehab, but like say for chronic SCI one not only try to stimulate the spinal cord and its possibilities to expand all the way trough the spinal cord and the peripheral pathways, but also that one could meet this growth by also a kind of stimulation the opposite way say from muscles by also finding remedies that can meet the spinal cord cell therapies at the same time by boosting the “endpoint/meeting point” for better effects. Like, muscles and brain “yelling for brain and spinal cord signals” to stimulate both ways, like a good meeting? Methinks that if we want something to go somewhere something should be calling, both ways. And then, say if we could boost such a calling - both from the spinal cord and the organs - it could perhaps be a good thing to look at. What do you think? I don't think such has been looked at in a bigger perspective.
    Leif,

One very well established and accepted mechanism of plasticity is that activity enhances connections and inactivity leads to atrophy. We of course know that this happens with muscles but much evidence suggest that this also happens with the central nervous system. The extent to which activity is somehow attracting axons to grow towards a given area or set or neurons has not yet been demonstrated. In fact, there is some suggestion that activity does not translate into function and may in fact interfere with function. For instance, there is currently a lot of emphasis on functional electrical stimulation of muscle to pedal against resistance. It is not clear that this "function" translates into walking and balance. In fact, my colleagues in Kunming don't think very much of the FES bikes and even FES stimulation during walking. I can pull out the references supporting both sides of this debate, if you would like but the evidence is still weak and at best correlative. The bottom line is that Dr. Zhu and her colleagues in Kunming believe that overground walking is essential if one is to train a person to walk and that the person should avoid braces whenever possible (except for the foot drop) and be encouraged to balance and to exercise not just the legs and hips but all the postural muscles of the abdomen, back, as well as arms.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Gretchen,

How soon can I start taking 4-AP after spinal cord injury? There is not much experience giving 4-AP during the first year after spinal cord injury. While there is no theoretical reason why the drug would not be effective during the first year, we know that injury to the spinal cord causes demyelination and that the spinal cord is remyelinating during the first year. So, it is possible that the drug will have more effect on people during the first year after injury and, as the spinal cord remyelinates, they should get better and the drug effect should decrease. This is one of the reasons why clinical trials of 4-AP have generally excluded people who are within a year after injury. This is so that the effects of 4-AP can be distinguished from remyelination. There is no evidence that 4-AP changes the rate or extent of remyelination. This is uncharted territory.

I hope that this is helpful.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 01-08-05 at 12:53 PM.]
    Dr Young,

Does this still hold true?

Has there been any more research done on this since the "k-channel-blockade-impairs-remyelination-in-the-cuprizone-model" study from 2004?