Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tablet question-Samsung/google

I love my Nexus 7!

Sorry, can’t back you on the Apple iPad recommendation. The whole ecosystem/mantra of Apple is in my opinion overpriced and very closed down to any sort of customize a nation/third-party development. I’d much prefer spending less money on the faster processor of the Nexus to get a piece that is truly open and able to do everything I’d need.

Now if we’re really talking about voice recognition needs/possibilities than I’d be looking towards a full-blown Windows 7/8 tablet that can use the real Dragon NaturallySpeaking with a Bluetooth headset. I think that would be the absolute for usability and possibilities, but so far nobody has come out with the right combination of hardware/price.
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

I wish I had held on for a Windows tablet.

I'm not a fan of Apple either though I switched to an iPhone from Blackberry back in July.

It won't let you add any media files that aren't purchased from iTunes! I recently switched desktops and hope I haven't lost my 6G of legally paid for music - including my entire Christmas file folder!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    In all honesty I'd just spend the extra money and go with the Apple, heck you can get a mini for only $329.00 and it has the same power as the larger tablets. The touch screen is amazing and the software the best. It is something you'd never look back to regret. For an extra $100.00 it might be worth it to upgrade to the 32 gig storage. Myself, I don't like any of those others, especially the Kindle.
    You've never used Android 4.x. It makes iOS feel old & boring. The higher end Androids (especially the Nexus lineup) are solid. I ditched iOS for Android a while back and have no regrets.

The new Kindle HDs are actually pretty nice if you're well-invested in Kindle books & have an Amazon Prime membership. I want one. If you don't use Amazon's content ecosystem, pass on them for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    It won't let you add any media files that aren't purchased from iTunes! I recently switched desktops and hope I haven't lost my 6G of legally paid for music - including my entire Christmas file folder!
    Yes it will. You just need to make sure the file formats are compatible. If they are, just drag/drop into iTunes & then onto your iPhone.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I would like to buy a 10 inch tablet but know little about them.

I have no cell phone service so do I just connect it to my satellite internet like my desktop? If I want to eliminate the wire I would need to buy a router to send the signal around my cabin so I can use it in bed.

So for Christmas I need to drop some bucks on a large tablet and a wireless router.
    Walmart has a Netgear router for 25 bucks, that should be good enough for a 2 car garage size cabin. It looks like I can get a big tablet for about 300 dollars. A laptop was too heavy and with quad hands too difficult plus I had to use a trackball so it bed it sucked.
    A tablet should be great to use in bed.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 12-07-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Ranger, you can use a wireless keyboard with a computer that has a USB port. Also, you can use the number pad as a mouse. Have you ever tried that? I have done this in bed. On the other hand, I would go for the tablet if that is a possibility.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Hey Ranger,

You should be able to hook up a wireless router to the output from your satellite dish to get Wi-Fi throughout your house. I’d probably look at getting a wireless N router with a halfway decent range to make sure things are moving quickly and will extend out into the yard in case you ever feel a like using it outside the future. You can probably get last year’s generation full-sized tablet for around $300, but if it was me and I was spending that much I’d rather plop down another $100 and get the new Nexus 10.

Been messing around with one of those and the smaller Nexus 7 and can say the hardware/software is absolutely top-notch, and it’s the best overall tablet I’ve used to date. Extremely impressed so far!
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

Even my option is to go with Nexus 7 as am using it from past few days;I just loved it!!