Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urodynamics test

Urodynamics test

I finally had my urodynamics test today and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had remembered it being in the past. I emptied my bladder two hours before the procedure before I left my house. Then they emptied it again before the procedure. They got 150cc at that time. Then they filled my bladder and I told them when I felt like I couldn't hold any more and it was at 450cc. I thought that was a bit strange because I thought I have held more than that in the past. But when the nurse emptied my bladder she got 600cc out. So that showed that my bladder hadn't emptied fully from before the procedure, even though they cathed for a few minutes and I believe even told me press down to see if there was any more. So the doctor concluded that my bladder doesn't empty fully or properly and said that is what is contributing to my frequent bladder stones. He gave me some solution to irrigate my bladder with once a day to try to help clear out some of the mucus.

The tests also didn't show that I was having spasms. They lines on the screen didn't change a whole lot during the test. What does this mean when it did rise a little? I asked a lot of questions and the nurse was good at explaining things but I forgot to actually ask what it meant when the lines went up some.

The doctor said everything looked okay with my bladder function, but would reflux have showed up if it turned out that my bladder wasn't as full as it could hold. I know I was feeling quite uncomfortable when I told them I was full, but like I said, my bladder may have held more. The fact that my stomach felt a little weird this morning when having the test didn't help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    I finally had my urodynamics test today and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had remembered it being in the past. I emptied my bladder two hours before the procedure before I left my house. Then they emptied it again before the procedure. They got 150cc at that time. Then they filled my bladder and I told them when I felt like I couldn't hold any more and it was at 450cc. I thought that was a bit strange because I thought I have held more than that in the past. But when the nurse emptied my bladder she got 600cc out. So that showed that my bladder hadn't emptied fully from before the procedure, even though they cathed for a few minutes and I believe even told me press down to see if there was any more. So the doctor concluded that my bladder doesn't empty fully or properly and said that is what is contributing to my frequent bladder stones. He gave me some solution to irrigate my bladder with once a day to try to help clear out some of the mucus.
    For posterity.

The tests also didn't show that I was having spasms. They lines on the screen didn't change a whole lot during the test. What does this mean when it did rise a little? I asked a lot of questions and the nurse was good at explaining things but I forgot to actually ask what it meant when the lines went up some.

The doctor said everything looked okay with my bladder function, but would reflux have showed up if it turned out that my bladder wasn't as full as it could hold. I know I was feeling quite uncomfortable when I told them I was full, but like I said, my bladder may have held more. The fact that my stomach felt a little weird this morning when having the test didn't help with that.
    I did ask and my uro doctor was very good at explaining.

The lines mean spasms. When your bladder contracts the lines go way up and then may or may not go down depending on how many spasms you have and the time between them. Mine were all over the screen. The lines are how they tell you are at risk for reflux into your kidneys. When the lines go up...the urine can go back into the kidneys which means reflux.

Why would you question the doctor if he said "everything looked okay"? I don't think you understand enough to question things like this. If you had no lines then it probably (and I am no doctor) means you had no spasms like the doctor told you.

Now I am going to ask another question....If memory serves me right and it usually does, you have a foley catheter right? So why would you not be emptying as the purpose of a catheter or using one is to empty the bladder and prevent infections/bladder problems such as this. I don't use catheters but reflex void on my own.

I would go back and look at your answers but it is kind of pointless so I have to rely on my own memory. I do distinctly remember thinking it was odd for someone to have a foley because it is hard on the bladder. The SCI nurse has said this many times.

You probably have a flaccid bladder.

http://www.spinabifidaassociation.or...sp?ct=12072875

http://spinabifida.org/sb-info/bladder-continence/

http://www.urologyweb.com/spina-bifi...c-bladder.html

The key to a healthy urinary system is frequent complete emptying.
    So my question for you is "if you are utilizing a catheter or catheters" you already know that you don't empty correctly so that is the reason you use them. This is probably attributed to your spina bifida. But if you are utilizing catheters in the correct way they are supposed to be used, why would you not be emptying because that is what the catheter does right?

So yes your non emptying bladder may be contributing to your bladder stones...a foley/catheterizing correctly should prevent this unless you are not following the doctors orders and doing it correctly.

My other question is if intermittent cath is the preferred way to empty (most here do and I will have to start within the next few months) why don't you?

Why are you worried about reflux? If you had it...trust me the doctor would have told you that you did. So why worry about it?
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

The morning of the procedure, I made sure my bladder was empty then removed the foley before I left my house, instead of waiting until I got to the appointment to remove it. It was about 2 hours later that they catheterized me and got 150cc out. My bladder must not have emptied completely when they cathed me at the appointment because I had more come out of me than what they had put into me.

But the doctor did say everything else looked okay. I'm not having any spasms or leakage or anything. I also just didn't know if reflux would show up unless my bladder was as full as it could hold. I probably could have held more but was starting to get that uncomfortable need to go feeling that they told me to tell them when I got it.
    Last edited by faith9778; 11-30-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: grammar error

I do use a foley catheter most of the time, but I was discussing going back to IC because it was after using the foley catheters that I started getting so many bladder stones. The problem with that is that it has always been so hard for me to IC myself and I have to be in a laying position so I can't do it when I'm out in public. Also when I would IC I would put it off even if I felt like I needed to go. So my bladder was filling up and not being emptied correctly when I was using that method. I also probably contaminate my hands and sometimes even the catheter trying to move around to get in position to do it. Wearing a foley has just been easier because all I have to do is empty the bag.

The morning of the procedure, I made sure my bladder was empty then removed the foley before I left my house, instead of waiting until I got to the appointment to remove it. It was about 2 hours later that they catheterized me and got 150cc out. My bladder must not have emptied completely when they cathed me at the appointment because I had more come out of me than what they had put into me.

But the doctor did say everything else looked okay. I'm not having any spasms or leakage or anything. I also just didn't know if reflux would show up unless my bladder was as full as it could hold. I probably could have held more but was starting to get that uncomfortable need to go feeling that they told me to tell them when I got it.
    They check for reflux damage by doing an ultrasound of your kidneys and lab tests on your your urine.

They can even check for urine left with a simple hand held ultrasound device.

They don't see reflux on urodynamics. However, they can measure the intensity of spasms/pressure and tell you whether you are at risk for reflux.

I would think the Foley is causing your stones even though it is convenient for you, that is the reason it is not the recommended treatment for neurogenic bladder.

That was exactly my point: You are causing yourself harm by not intermittent catheterizing yourself at set times and when you should.

Also when I would IC I would put it off even if I felt like I needed to go. So my bladder was filling up and not being emptied correctly when I was using that method.
    It was not being emptied correctly because you did not empty it.

Spasms can stop the flow of urine but from what you are describing you don't have spasms.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    They check for reflux damage by doing an ultrasound of your kidneys and lab tests on your your urine.

They can even check for urine left with a simple hand held ultrasound device.

They don't see reflux on urodynamics. However, they can measure the intensity of spasms/pressure and tell you whether you are at risk for reflux.

I would think the Foley is causing your stones even though it is convenient for you, that is the reason it is not the recommended treatment for neurogenic bladder.

That was exactly my point: You are causing yourself harm by not intermittent catheterizing yourself at set times and when you should.

It was not being emptied correctly because you did not empty it.

Spasms can stop the flow of urine but from what you are describing you don't have spasms.
    Yep, that's pretty much what I was saying.
    Last edited by faith9778; 11-30-2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Added information that I remembered

"He gave me some solution to irrigate my bladder with once a day to try to help clear out some of the mucus."

What is the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rolfe View Post
    "He gave me some solution to irrigate my bladder with once a day to try to help clear out some of the mucus."

What is the solution?
    It is just sterile water for irrigation. The doctor said this should help clear out some of the mucus that is in my bladder.

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    faith if you have a foley they would not do the urodynamics test anyway since it would be pointless. since your bladder would be empty all the time anyway. by you asking them to do the test they probally just did it to please you and really have no idea why it would want to be done anyway. once i had the urodynamics test done the first time then it was decided to have the foley put in and later the urostomy my doctor basically said that i did not need anymore tests done on my bladder since it is now not being used anyway, i get a renal ultrasound done every 2 or 3 years and thats it.
    I didn't ask for this test. I was referred to a neurogenic urologist and he wanted me to have a urodynamics test. I guess he didn't know that I had the foley when I was referred to him.
    Last edited by faith9778; 11-30-2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Further explanation