Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C3 Quad Computer Use

C3 Quad Computer Use

Hi All,

Hope someone can help me out with this. I recently met a young lady that is in 4th grade and is a C3. She seems to have many needs right now for independence on the computer. She is currently using a TrackerPro and a laptop to access the web and Google Docs but it doesn't look like that is cutting it. There must be better eye gaze systems or something. I would like to get some ideas to pass along to the family or her team if possible.

Thanks!

Can she speak? Use something like Dragon Dictate?

Does she have an IEP for school? Her parents should have input into the IEP, and there should be a provision for school services to provide consultation on technology interventions that meet her individual needs, esp. for use for school work.

(KLD)

She does speak and has used Dragon and she uses her tracker system to dwell and click over the onboard Mac/Windows keyboard.
    She does have an IEP for school andt they are trialing all kinds of tech for her.

I really shouldn't get involved but I can't help it. I know there is so much more she could do independently. I have also contacted a local organization that specializes in helping kids with physical disabilities....their assistive technology team is awesome.

It is great that you are helping get her connected to resources in your community. Sounds like she is getting appropriate help at school too.

(KLD)

You can combine dragon and mouse hardware like a head mouse, instead of dwell clicking use the words "mouse click". Dwell clicking is a pain and things like a sip/puff system can replace it, head mouse can be ordered with this option.

Eye gaze is over rated especially with dwell clicking, rest yuor eyes on an item and it gets clicked. With head mouse you keep your head still and your eyes can still move to read.

Makes sense mrb, thanks, I can see how the eye gaze could be tiring. Head mouse/Dragon combo seem to be less fatiguing and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    Makes sense mrb, thanks, I can see how the eye gaze could be tiring. Head mouse/Dragon combo seem to be less fatiguing and faster.
    Head mouse and sip/puff is the easiest and fastest option in my experience (c3 complete, vented) you can also connect one of the big button switches to the head mouse, it is ok for click/double click but not right click. It is easy to mount to your head rest but needs careful positioning to avoid accidental clicks. An on screen keyboard can be used to type instead of dragon, some have predictive text which can be a big time saver.

There are also mouth driven mouses (mice??) such as the Joust and QuadJoy.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There are also mouth driven mouses (mice??) such as the Joust and QuadJoy.

(KLD)
    I've never tried these always been put off by how difficult it would be to position and how to get to it as I slump or spasm in the chair and how difficult it would be to voice dictate. Would like to give them a try though.

Yes, finding a good way to mount these can be and issue. It's the Jouse, not the Joust. Sorry for the error.

(KLD)