Thread: Some walking

Some walking

Did about 12-15 steps with walker few minutes ago from wheelchair and back. Wanted try and see if upper body weight on correct side to step with right leg. Just wearing compression socks. No shoes. Sure felt good!

Fantastic news !!!!! Congrats......

That's just great!

You got a spotter?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I turned walking off for a while, because I felt was doing it with "my arms." Have done a ton of work starting with just massage and hopefully the mental coordination. Cannot stop, but I like those toes providing a lot of input. They appear AWFULLY critical.

Kick ass! Being up will improve your life no matter. I did the same thing and laid off walking in order to save my strength for resistance work outs. I think it worked for me too. Getting stronger was more important in the long run than hobbling around with a walker. I will say that re training the muscles involved in balance is very important, so standing should be a part of your regular work out routine for sure.
    Way to never give in brother.

My PT has advised that strengthening should be 60% targeted exercises and 40% walking. Sometimes you have to try various combinations to see what gives you the best progress. Way to go on your walker steps! It's one step, then another. Who know where it will lead you! Keep up the good work!

That's great! Keep up the good work!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12