Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Someone Please Help? Not Sure What To Do?

  1. #1

    Someone Please Help? Not Sure What To Do?

    So as some of you may know I am a near full time worker and a part time student. I dropped my Physics class and am going to try to take it in the class instead of online because there were a lot of visual/drawing issues that led to a lot of frustration. I took my Math and finished with a 60% which wasn't so good but, again lots of visual/preceptual issues with graphing and geometry. I am currently taking Chemistry and got a 50% on my quiz because I can't draw out pictures. I was doing very well until I hit this unit. I have also been having a lot of issues with anxiety (panic attacks, lack of sleep...) and I'm starting to feel like I'm doomed for failure and will never get into OT ( I know, bad attitude) but, I'm just really scared.

    Thoughts?

    WG

  2. #2
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    There's probably another 1000 students like you (billions throughout North America) that have panic attacks from the pressure they put upon themselves - and others do - to get through school. They just hide it, but they're panicking - most assuredly!

    So that's normal. Whew! Just needed some reassurance there. I think what you did is a great idea in going to classroom instead of online for those difficult courses.

    (Sometimes panic attacks can be related to thyroid, but unless you've had hair falling out, dry hair & nails and have had a significant weight gain or loss I think you'll be okay).

    I thought you had some hand function.. so I'm not sure what you mean by 'I can't draw.' Could you do it on a laptop?

    This is school - take some time for friends and enjoyment - it's really important. That's your lesson of life from me today, lol (but it's very true).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    what kind of chemistry? i'm guessing some form of general chemistry with the lewis structures. is there academic support available to you? there is a program called chem draw that you could use to draw the things you need. also, if u need tutoring, i can help.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    what kind of chemistry? i'm guessing some form of general chemistry with the lewis structures. is there academic support available to you? there is a program called chem draw that you could use to draw the things you need. also, if u need tutoring, i can help.
    Wow CG,

    That's really cool of you. I found a program to do the Lewis Structure but I've been having a lot of difficulty with figuring out polarity with the diagrams.....

    Lynnifer,

    I have some hand function, but struggle with fine motor skills for drawing and such and I know if I put work and everything else totally aside I'd go nuts lol so that is true.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Wow CG,

    That's really cool of you. I found a program to do the Lewis Structure but I've been having a lot of difficulty with figuring out polarity with the diagrams.....

    Lynnifer,

    I have some hand function, but struggle with fine motor skills for drawing and such and I know if I put work and everything else totally aside I'd go nuts lol so that is true.
    you dont figure out polarity with diagrams, you figure out polarity with the periodic table/chart that shows you the dipole moments of commons bonds/calculating formal charges to see who is more negative
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  6. #6
    You need to really GET basic chem. No cheats here other than tutor/study/visit prof.

    Later, fake it till you make it. I can't recommend that approach here though.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    you dont figure out polarity with diagrams, you figure out polarity with the periodic table/chart that shows you the dipole moments of commons bonds/calculating formal charges to see who is more negative
    See, thats what I thought but, just as an example....

    C2H2
    Indicate whether the molecule is polar, or not. Give complete reasoning for your answer, including shape, electronegativity difference and the types of bonds present.

    Answer:

    non-polar; the two carbons are triple bonded to each other so molecule is linear about the carbons (each carbon is bonded to two things, with no lone pair electrons). The END is 0.4 , which makes the bonds polar-covalent. Since the molecule is symmetical the bond dipoles cancel out, making the molecule non-polar.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    See, thats what I thought but, just as an example....

    C2H2
    Indicate whether the molecule is polar, or not. Give complete reasoning for your answer, including shape, electronegativity difference and the types of bonds present.

    Answer:

    non-polar; the two carbons are triple bonded to each other so molecule is linear about the carbons (each carbon is bonded to two things, with no lone pair electrons). The END is 0.4 , which makes the bonds polar-covalent. Since the molecule is symmetical the bond dipoles cancel out, making the molecule non-polar.
    yes. electronegativity difference comes from a chart (no one should expect you to memorize that) also, you can calculate formal charge for each molecule. it's linear because it's like this: H-C=C-H (should be triple bond between the carbons)

    to help yourself with the spatial relations and seeing the molecules, you can buy a molecular modeling kit from amazon. all chemists use these at some point, especially organic chemists
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    yes. electronegativity difference comes from a chart (no one should expect you to memorize that) also, you can calculate formal charge for each molecule. it's linear because it's like this: H-C=C-H (should be triple bond between the carbons)

    to help yourself with the spatial relations and seeing the molecules, you can buy a molecular modeling kit from amazon. all chemists use these at some point, especially organic chemists
    ok thank you! Now as a point of clarification, what do you mean when you say you can calculate formal charge? What info does that give you? I feel like an idiot asking that btw

  10. #10
    You can do it Wheeliegirl!

    Anxiety and panic attacks are warning signs and you probably need to take a few steps back and come up with another approach to the problem. Asking for help is a sign of maturity, if you have already tried everything you know.

    Hang in there and don't give up on your dreams!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •