Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone with scissor locks do me a favor?

Can someone with scissor locks do me a favor?

Can you take a picture and post it to show how they work? I just put in the order for my new ZR, I went ahead and put down scissor locks, but I can still change it.

I live on a hill, so I will be loading and unloading on the hill. When I'm pushing up the hill, I sometimes bump the brake lever so that it pushes the brake down and the next push I slam my wrist or thumb into it. But when I unload things from the car (groceries, etc.) I need to be able to lock the chair easily and fast before I roll down it.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Scissor brakes are out of your way, but can also be difficult to set and release unless you have good trunk balance and pretty strong hands, as they fit under the seat much more than a standard brake.

Have you considered disk brakes? Here a a couple I am familiar with:

E-Brakes

D's Locks

(KLD)

I've seen those disk brakes, but I can't find any dealers that sell them. I asked the guy about them and he said the only ones he'd seen cost about $1000.

I tried to connect the the D's lock website today but it wasn't working, seems fine now. Again, I can't find anyone that sells them, and I don't know how much they'll cost.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

scissors are all i use because they are out of the way. u have to bend over and reach between your legs to set them. i have little hand function but good trunk, 0once i was used to them , it was easy.

Jim, not all vendors know these products. We use the D's Locks a lot (one of our outpatients started the company) and I know they cost less than $400 installed.

You might want to contact them. Here is a picture of a scissor lock in the unlocked position. You have to be able to reach between your legs to reach the handle.

(KLD)

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 12-07-04 at 02:03 PM.]

Here they are in the locked position:

jim you can also get reverse lock scisors that is what i prefer. pull to lock, push to unlock.

I have the same locks, you do not HAVE to reach forward and under the seat to get at them. I just reach over the side and reach under with my wrist. All you gotta do is adjust the lock body outwards from the frame and you are good to go. I like them and they are pretty mantainace free as the moving parts dont get mangled since they tuck under the chair.

Originally posted by *Andy*:

I have the same locks, you do not HAVE to reach forward and under the seat to get at them. I just reach over the side and reach under with my wrist. All you gotta do is adjust the lock body outwards from the frame and you are good to go. I like them and they are pretty mantainace free as the moving parts dont get mangled since they tuck under the chair.
    Andy for a QUAD its much easier to do them the way i desribed, a must if u use the reverse lock scissors which hold better.

I was just adding some options to some things that KLD said about their usage, Jim is a para I believe.