Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who re-use catheters

For those who re-use catheters

When I come across a catheter that flows really well I would like to clean them and re-use them. What technique do you use to insure the catheter is bug free?

You can not insure that anything will be bacteria free once it has been used. However, you can make sure that it is cleaned to the best of your ability. However, not all catheters are made to be reused, so please keep that in mind.

CKF

My technique:

Wash each catheter w/ antibacterial liquid soap, shake excess water out, dry each in a new (every time) brown paper lunch bag.

Been doing so since 1999. It's a clean technique, not sterile.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    My technique:

Wash each catheter w/ antibacterial liquid soap, shake excess water out, dry each in a new (every time) brown paper lunch bag.

Been doing so since 1999. It's a clean technique, not sterile.
    I did the same (antibacterial liquid soap) for years, but I put them on a paper towel to dry.

I had two white washcloths sewn together w/zipper for drying.

used to wash them with soap then boil them, but after getting medicare it covers 200 catheters per month so no more boiling.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

I can tell you what does not work. I was travelling and got stuck and only had purell (never leave home without it). So I basically would push the catheter into the purell bottle, let it sit there, then took it out, wiped off the purell with a benzo wipe and used it. Got the worst UTI of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by NWC4 View Post
    When I come across a catheter that flows really well I would like to clean them and re-use them. What technique do you use to insure the catheter is bug free?
    Do you use the same brand and type catheter all the time, but find differences in flow rate in the same brand and type of catheter? I am surprised you can perceive a difference from one catheter to the other in the same brand and type.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Do you use the same brand and type catheter all the time, but find differences in flow rate in the same brand and type of catheter? I am surprised you can perceive a difference from one catheter to the other in the same brand and type.

All the best,
    GJ
    Yes, I use Rusch silicone coated and Kendall 100% silicone. I have had this issue for years and have only run into 2 other quads that have the same issue. The difference is like night and day. It's not that the "bad" catheters do not flow, they do, just not freely. One can visibly see the difference in flow rate by just watching the urine flow through the clear tube of a drain bag when the tube is placed a loop. When a bad one is in I start feeling lousy, similar to flu like symptoms and I can feel my bladder and kidney start hurting. It doesn't get to the point of dysreflexia (sp). A good example is about two weeks ago I started a antibiotic for a UTI, had been on it 2 days and wasn't feeling any better. I had only output about 1/5 of a gallon in 24 hours. It was dark even though I had been drinking lke a horse. Decided the catheter was the problem. Changed it and went to sleep for 3 hours. When I woke up I had output over a half gallon, the color was light yellow and felt 95% better.

With a good catheter I do not even notice my bladder and kidneys. Right now I do!

See this thread for more:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=190911

Quote Originally Posted by NWC4 View Post
    Yes, I use Rusch silicone coated and Kendall 100% silicone. I have had this issue for years and have only run into 2 other quads that have the same issue. The difference is like night and day. It's not that the "bad" catheters do not flow, they do, just not freely. One can visibly see the difference in flow rate by just watching the urine flow through the clear tube of a drain bag when the tube is placed a loop. When a bad one is in I start feeling lousy, similar to flu like symptoms and I can feel my bladder and kidney start hurting. It doesn't get to the point of dysreflexia (sp). A good example is about two weeks ago I started a antibiotic for a UTI, had been on it 2 days and wasn't feeling any better. I had only output about 1/5 of a gallon in 24 hours. It was dark even though I had been drinking lke a horse. Decided the catheter was the problem. Changed it and went to sleep for 3 hours. When I woke up I had output over a half gallon, the color was light yellow and felt 95% better.

With a good catheter I do not even notice my bladder and kidneys. Right now I do!

See this thread for more:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=190911
    Your initial post does not make it clear that you use a suprapubic catheter. I thought you were trying to reuse catheters for clean intermittent catheterization (CIC), which before Medicare and private insurance companies approved 200 straight catheters a month was standard practice for most of us who manage(d) our bladders with CIC.

However, you should NEVER reuse a foley catheter in a suprapubic. The foley catheter should be sterile and placed into the bladder through the stoma using sterile insertion technique. A used foley catheter is not sterile and you are running a great risk of infection each time you do this.

Talk to you doctor about your flow problems. He may have some suggestions.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-25-2012 at 11:39 PM.