Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low wine tolerance?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Low wine tolerance?

I get slightly drunk after a glass of wine, and I'm a heavy guy. Could this be due to SCI? I am not taking any medications that would interact with wine but am fairly new to drinking.

Also since alcohol kills germs one might think drinking alcohol would help stop UTIs, but apparently this is not the case at all.

Two glasses and I would be toast. So same issue here .. I don't drink wine often.

I do find that alcohol helps lesson uti's ... but I flush with water the next day as I'm usually dying of thirst.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    I get slightly drunk after a glass of wine, and I'm a heavy guy. Could this be due to SCI? I am not taking any medications that would interact with wine but am fairly new to drinking.

Also since alcohol kills germs one might think drinking alcohol would help stop UTIs, but apparently this is not the case at all.
    This is a good question. I have often wondered this myself. Two drinks for me and I feel totally wasted. If I drink more than that it feels like I am loosing my equilibrium and I start to struggle to sit up straight......but it still doesn't stop me from having a few, every now and then.

If you just started drinking alcohol, your tolerance may increase over time. You can lower the effect by drinking with food in your stomach. Generally women are more sensitive to alcohol's effects than men.

The idea that drinking alcohol can reduce UTIs is not true. The alcohol is burned off and never reaches your bladder. Most of the remaining non-alcohol liquid does get excreted as urine, but some is evaporated as sweat. If you drink beer, you see the increase in urine output. A glass of wine would not likely have a noticeable impact on urine volume.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Thumbs up

I was introduced to wine just prior to my accident. It is my main alcoholic beverage these days and I love it. Such a fascinating world!

Some observations:
    • I do not have any bladder maintenance issues when I'm drinking wine. I do not get an unexpected surge in volume. In fact, sometimes I think it lowers my urine output for a period of time.

• I get drunk off of a glass of wine if I have had little to eat and drink that day. Food and hydration play a big role.

• I don't generally get dizzy when I drink too much.

• If I drink a lot (a bottle or more - hey, it happens!) and tilt to do a weight shift, my blood pressure starts to play games and make me realize how much I drank.

• Nitrogen-based beers like Guinness and Murphy's don't cause surges of urine with me either.

• I never have a hangover from just drinking wine.

Hope helps!
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

I've found that Cranberry juice helps with UTIs...some of the "kool-aid" wines (fruit added, like blackberry) do also.

I love wine...too much. I try to keep it to a minimum of 2 glasses, or else I do feel it the next day. It definitely increases the urine output for me, and I try to make sure I increase my water intake to balance it.
    Incomplete T-12/L-1

Wine and I are best friends! But it it part of our culture. If not working it is not uncommon to have a glass of wine at lunch then wine at dinner always. It could depend on the type of wine on the effect you get. For instance a French Red Wine will make me feel drunk faster than a Napa Red. Being a wine drinker before and after SCI the only difference I see is I can probably drink more since I don't have to worry about walking sideways j/k
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I think it depends on the person. I will sometimes drink a whole box of wine over the course of a weekend or 3 days. I can usually handle 7-8 glasses in a night as long as I've put a meal in my belly before hand. I was 5'6 about 19 years ago and I currently weigh about 135-140 pounds. My husband weighs about 220 and CAN NOT handle as much wine as I can. It varies from person to person in my opinion. I think medication and food play a big role also.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I feel like it decreases my urine output the next day due to the dehydration. I drink water throughout the night and the next morning to help increase my volume and reduce the hang over. I drink A LOT of water the next day to flush the kidneys.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994