Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living Alone; Changing Sheets (etc)

Living Alone; Changing Sheets (etc)

Certain things are pretty tough when living alone.
    I actually live with a friend now but he isn't someone I can ask to do things for me.

-- The most difficut thing and most bothersome; is my bed sheets! I have cats and I often need to change them, but sometimes I go a week without changing my sheets lol. It's just a hassle... I have to transfer on the bed, do it on one side, then hope above it and keep hopping as I extend the sheet. It's so tedious.. is there a quicker way a or a better solution

-- Also I find it hard to clean my bathroom which gets messy. And Laundry is horrible. I hate dragging the laundry basket then filling the washer and unloading it. I dont have a working dryer yet so I have to hang each clothing by hand. ARRGHH.

I don't know what's the point of this post, maybe get insight from others who live alone and how they do things, maybe just to vent :P

I'm not in a position to get some hired help,
    and even if I was; I wouldn't want it.

Where in Ontario do you live? My son lives alone in TO and I live 5 hours away. I was also concerned with the same issues. There is an agency founded by the gov, the caregiver comes once / week for two hours, does laundry, cleans, or whatever needs to b done.
    If you need info, pm me and I get you the digits. the wait was not long at all, from the time I gotten in touch with them to the of the first visit, maybe a month.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

I hate changing the sheets on my bed too, but I have a system that works for me. My bed sits against a wall. There is not enough room in the bedroom to wheel around both sides of the bed. So, here is what I do. I take the bottom sheet and throw it onto the bed and straighten and smooth it out on one side, top to bottom. I tuck it in the sides beneath the bed rails (bc I have an air mattress) to help hold it in place. Then I do the same for the next sheet, and then the blankets etc. When that is done I move the bed (it's on wheels), wheel around the the other side and repeat the process. When I'm done I push the bed back and smooth it out some more. It doesn't come out perfect, but it works.

As for the clothes. I don't use laundry baskets. It is too difficult to pick them up from the floor and balance at the same time. So, I use laundry bags and grab them up with one hand onto my lap. Seems to work pretty well for me.

I hope this helps ..

Can you move your bed so only the headboard is against the wall and you have access to both sides?

As for the laundry. I have a front loading washer and dryer each on one side of my laundry room facing eachother with a laundry basket in between. I just keep the basket in there and take dirty clothes etc in there as needed. It's a small room so I can just roll half-way in the doorway and load the washer. When the wash is done I can toss the clothes in the dryer without having to carry them or even move. It's a small pantry-like/hallway laundry room. Makes things easy.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

when i do the sheets, i hold up the mattress with some sort of lever lol like a broom, then tuck in the sheet as i press down on the broom to lift it. do that for all 4 sides. total time is 5 - 10 min. but i only have the head side against the wall

at night, i just flip over part of the covers, in the morning i adjust the far side of the bed while i am still laying there, then transfer and adjust the side i was sleeping on. takes me about 2min to do it this way
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post

at night, i just flip over part of the covers, in the morning i adjust the far side of the bed while i am still laying there, then transfer and adjust the side i was sleeping on. takes me about 2min to do it this way
    Oh, we are suppose to re-make the bed every morning? lol
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I had to do that for the first three years I was on my own ... get on the bed, make that part up, then scoot off and make the rest because it was against a wall. A twin bed as well so it wasn't that bad ...

My apartment bedroom was 'just' big enough for a double bed but David always got his side (good boy).

Now I have a condo with a rather huge bedroom for a 2 bdrm .. I plan on moving up to a Queen bed in the new year.

I use flannel and wash my sheets once per week. Is that odd to only wash them once per week? Unless I wake up and know I've been sweating (which happens very rarely).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Oh, we are suppose to re-make the bed every morning? lol
    lol no no, only when u have company coming over. i had to do this alot over the summer as i had friends over
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post

I use flannel and wash my sheets once per week. Is that odd to only wash them once per week?

No, it's not.

Thanks ... I considered it a 'luxury' when I was able to wheel around the entire bed and make it with no problem/obstacles.

It's the little things ... lol.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12