Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Can't Decide What to Do?

Whatever you decide do the best you can at it and maintain a positive attitude.

I am paying attention to what you guys say about the health benefits of regular hours.

No more sloughing throw a snowstorm at midnight to get home or get into work sounds nice.

I did invest in some office clothes last month - partially for my birthday, partially because I anticipated taking this job. I want to be sitting at that desk in my black tight-fitting skirt, opaque or cable knit tights for winter and my black boots! As soon as I figure out what to do with the leg bag ... lol. Always cold at work too ... you taxpayers can't turn the heat on? Kidding - lol.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 11-24-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I am also a dispatcher / adminstrative employee at a 911 center. Over the past 15 years I worked just about every type of shift work that an employer can come up with. I started out a just a regualar dispatcher and worked my way up to assistant director and honestly I love it. I mostly work mon thru friday 8 hours a day off on weekends and holidays. I think the benifits of working in the office outway the down sides. If i can't go to work it really doesn't affect the dispatchers they dont have to cover my shift on their off days. I got a huge rasise when i was given the new job which helps me out greatly...would you be able to get a raise since you will be doing more. I also LOVE the dispatching part of the department it is honestly where my heart is so to be able to still do that i fill in and work a 12 hour shift when a dispatcher needs off. I get paid overtime if i fill in or i can take another day off if i dont fill like going in. Although i understand that i have a very outstanding boss, co workers and the entire 911 board is great i couldn't ask for more from them. But i do understand that everyone doesnt' have that.

Sounds like the same situation. You prove you're a good dispatcher and they cater to you almost! If I have something urgent come up (bladder trouble whatever and they understand that), I could come in when I'm ready and just work the 8hrs later as there's another secretary there as well to handle the public. Can't do that in dispatch as someone else is relying on you to be there ... or relieve them. Lots of sick time in dispatch - not just me over the past 3 years. Two went off on stress as well (I've never pulled that).

If I could do some overtime shifts in dispatch ... my note specifically states that I can do a 12hr occasionally but require two days off in rest afterwards (because of dependent edema and it screws up my bladder routine).

If I could do both ... be paid as a dispatcher and paid as a secretary (the dispatchers will ALWAYS earn more .... just the way it is as they have more responsibility) ... that would be perfect. Not sure management would be keen on that though. Also, the part-timers would be reluctant for that situation ... but they never come in, save for one shift hog (and good for her, lol). The other secretary might not be keen on that either and insist on the same treatment. She's married to a sergeant though ... I only have me to rely on for income.

I will bring that up though ... because THAT would be perfect and I would look for opportunities to dispatch as I love it. It would be like a treat.

I too have done hellish shift work there for 10yrs solid (employed for 13) plus shift work at other jobs since age 21. That's what I get for being unedumacted! lol

I appreciate your input Elizabeth/dispatchjen.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Yeah, I'm going for health vs. money on this one also. Sometimes I do a rotating schedule to cover another shift if the guy is on vacation or whatever, only evenings coming from days, 8 hours only. I refuse to do midnights, not worth the money for that noise. And I can tell the toll it does on me just doing that a few days. And I guarantee I do much less and have less job stress than you might experience. SCI doesnt work so well rotating shifts, nor 12 hours either I would imagine.

For 60 bucks a week...might be quite the deal to have more normal health and well-being.

Does the $$$ difference fit your budget or not? If you are worried now about the money I suggest really put a plan together and see if it fits? On top of that, how long do you think it will take to regain the money difference versus the economy. What kind of raises do you think you would get to regain the money.

We're in contract negotiations now ... a raise is certain, but not as much for the secretaries. The problem is responsibility ... not as much in the new job. I could do it easily and do it well ... having more control over my work which would be nice.

In dispatch, you can be sued ... so they are paid more for the risk they take. lol

Worse comes to worse, I have a spare room and could take on a room-mate ... or I've been thinking of fostering a child for a long, long time. That new schedule would fit in perfect for that and there's a high school a block away from me. Teens are hard to place. I could keep a better eye on them with better hours and do more with them as well.

I think my mind is slowly being made up! I appreciate your input too Andy as I know we both have the same fatigue issues with work and shifts.

Geezus, I should have posted this here two months ago - I'd be working it already!

I'd cancel cable ($120 per month) and could probably lose the landline ($32-41 per month) but then would have to go back to cable for internet. I pay $45.14 per month for DSL. Depending on my credit cards too much and paying them off as well. Not really a lot of other wiggle room and gas needs to come down in price! It's killing everyone's budget!

My mortgage, condo fees, heat and equipment rental and repair ($30 per month) are all something I wouldn't and can't give up. Cell is $80 per month .. seems silly for me to have a landline but I'd hate to give up the number as I've had it for years. A lot of my funds are going to credit cards right now since I built them up, dammit.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 11-24-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Interesting about the foster care. That makes me believe the world needs you worse on day shift.

Rotating 12 hrs kills everybody. You are paying a high price for little reward. I can't even imagine shift work at this age. I gave it up b/c my baby was suddenly 11, and more trouble than when he was 2!

All along I've thought "If Jenn had a fam this would be such a no-brainer." You just got a new career-Foster some teens!

For me if i work in dispatch I dont get paid at the dispatchers rate I still get my hourly rate and for over time i get my rate at time and a half. Dispatchers here make less than adminstration. One reason for the pay difference is because im on call pretty much 24/7 365 and on call i mean if they have a question, equipment breaks, etc so i guess thats why i get paid so good. Just last night I got a call at 230 am to ask me a question but i dont mind its my job. I even get calls from officers late at night needing something. I get sick time / vacation time so if i dont feel like going in i can still get paid. To me it is a load off just knowing that no one is depending on me to be at work at a certain time to releive them. My dispatcher co workers help me out and i help them out whenever i can. With me being there on days if they need to run out to pay a bill, to pick up a child or anything im there to work while they take care of what ever they need to.

Same with ours ... you must be the dispatcher supervisor then? They earn about $6000 more than the dispatchers as well. Secretaries earn less.

In that man-filled world where officers don't always make great managers but get there by seniority, ours was actually driven off. Management wouldn't support her and when she didn't provide a good answer to the dispatchers as far as wanting a day off - they'd go above her head. She just resigned after 13yrs on it ... the guy she competed with all those years ago is now our supervisor. I considered applying for that job but didn't ... didn't want THAT much responsibility after my illness. Might have given the other guy a run for his money though!

I have to admit it's nice and relaxed - things get done when they do (other than the dispatching duties which are the number one priority of course). The other was anal but excellent with every t crossed and every i dotted ... but she had no respect from anyone. Sad really as she struggles with money and is on her own too.

Betheny - a neat way to look at it. Fostering pays $1000 per month but I'd just put it away for the kid ... more than likely, a teen will move out on their own from me ... hard to place those ages. I'd love to help with homework and watch in the audience what they do at school, etc! I'd probably spoil someone! lol Wonder if you're allowed to take them on vacation or out of county to Christmas with relatives or how that works?