Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many calories does it take to maintain weight?

How many calories does it take to maintain weight?

I am a C5/6 quad and him having some eating issues. I'd go into more depth but I'm limited on time right now. It's important that I don't lose weight. If I'm 5'6 and weigh 145 pounds, have pretty much no exercise to speak of, how many calories would I have to consume each day so I wouldn't be losing weight?

There are a lot of calculators out that you can find on the internet. Try a search. Some more complex than the others. This quick method is based on total body weight in an average person. men and women. Of course there are a lot of variable based on sex, basil metabolism, activity level.

Fat loss = 12-13 calories per lb. of bodyweight

Maintenance (TDEE) = 15-16 calories per lb. of bodyweight

Weight gain = 18-19 calories per lb. of bodyweight

All the best,
    GJ

I would highly recommend a Dexa Scan and a resting energy expenditure test. I sign up for them in clinical trials. Quite a few hospitals do this for spinal cord patients. You will get an exact calorie count. SCI individuals burn much less. I am a T-10 complete. I weigh 155 and burn under 1400 calories a day. If I do exercise, I will burn more but not much. You are better using the number 10 times your current weight. You will be close to your resting calorie count per day. It is harder to loose when you need to minus 3500 calories to loose a pound. I wish you well.
    If you are from the New Jersey or NYC area, Kessler research in West Orange has this study. I believe there are test sites in most states.

I've taken to eating lots of protein.... and garlic rice cakes Everything in moderation of course, right? but snacking?...garlic rice cakes. yum

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMonte View Post
    I would highly recommend a Dexa Scan and a resting energy expenditure test. I sign up for them in clinical trials. Quite a few hospitals do this for spinal cord patients. You will get an exact calorie count. SCI individuals burn much less. I am a T-10 complete. I weigh 155 and burn under 1400 calories a day. If I do exercise, I will burn more but not much. You are better using the number 10 times your current weight. You will be close to your resting calorie count per day. It is harder to loose when you need to minus 3500 calories to loose a pound. I wish you well.
    If you are from the New Jersey or NYC area, Kessler research in West Orange has this study. I believe there are test sites in most states.
    Thanks Joe. I've been wondering what and if there were tests that could determine the idea calorie intake on an individual basis. Hope to find an avenue where I am to get these tests done.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    There are a lot of calculators out that you can find on the internet. Try a search. Some more complex than the others. This quick method is based on total body weight in an average person. men and women. Of course there are a lot of variable based on sex, basil metabolism, activity level.

Fat loss = 12-13 calories per lb. of bodyweight

Maintenance (TDEE) = 15-16 calories per lb. of bodyweight

Weight gain = 18-19 calories per lb. of bodyweight

All the best,
    GJ
    Is this using current or desired bodyweight?

You can evaluate your activities and estimate how many calories you are burning every day. As others have pointed out there are a lot of individual differences that factor in such as metabolism.

Estimated calories burned by a 160 lb. male engaging in activities for 1 hour. Lighter people burn slightly less and heavier people burn more. Also, females burn slightly less than males.

sitting and talking on /phone 115
    reading while sitting 90
    sleeping 70
    wc basketball 470
    casual wheeling 230
    wc light housework 270
    wc racing 690
    fishing while sitting 180
    pushups - vigorous 575
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Is this using current or desired bodyweight?
    Current.

Lewis,
    I would check the Clinical trial site. There should be one in Mass. It is worth having it done. We also did the smart pill with this trial. Most SCI people take 5 to 7 days to pass food. That is something to consider when you eat. This study taught me a lot with maintaining body weight and how to loose if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    You can evaluate your activities and estimate how many calories you are burning every day. As others have pointed out there are a lot of individual differences that factor in such as metabolism.

Estimated calories burned by a 160 lb. male engaging in activities for 1 hour. Lighter people burn slightly less and heavier people burn more. Also, females burn slightly less than males.

sitting and talking on /phone 115
    reading while sitting 90
    sleeping 70
    wc basketball 470
    casual wheeling 230
    wc light housework 270
    wc racing 690
    fishing while sitting 180
    pushups - vigorous 575
    Hmmm, casual wheeling or fishing while sitting?