Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy Questions For a Quad

for w33man...

he are some do colostomates stink answers for you... I also maintain a very clean colostomy bag, watch what I eat, take Devrom and do everything else you can do.

the 60ish yr old lady that currently sits across from me at work sprays this rose scented spray in my cube twice daily... I never requested this. She doesn't acknowledge me as a human being either even though I am very senior to her. When I speak to her in the elevator she just kind of grunts at me like she wants me to stop talking to her. I'm not hideous either.

the leader of my dept at work (two jobs ago) used to sit and smell his arm pits everytime he used to sit by me in a meeting... I never saw him do it other than when he sat next to me over a 2 yr period and 100s of meetings

when my now ex wife and I were engaged from 1992-96, she wanted to break off the engagement if I got a colostomy... she didn't but she hated it

there are countless other stories as well

IMO opinion it is still way better than a bp and having hemmorhoid problems

at the begining of my post i said -excuse my english- , i didnt wanted to hurt someones feelings , i just dont know to use the words very well , my mistake .
    i am sorry honestly

Quote Originally Posted by W33man View Post
    at the begining of my post i said -excuse my english- , i didnt wanted to hurt someones feelings , i just dont know to use the words very well , my mistake .
    i am sorry honestly
    No need to apolgize... I was just providing an honest opinion about the social side of having a colostomy.

well then , thank you very much .

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    No need to apolgize... I was just providing an honest opinion about the social side of having a colostomy.

I would hate to leave people with the impression of the reaction your encountering is the norm. I have seen none of what your talking about. Most people you will fine think all quads have a colostomy any way due to the quad belly.

I could give you an interesting story of peoples reactions to a colostomy. Fifteen years ago I met a young lady that had a colostomy and back then I knew very little about them. And this young lady was a stripper. She would wear a scarf around her waist. And she was as popular as any of the girls in that club.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    My main concern is with the odor. I don't want to even smell it myself (and I'm very sensitive to odors). I'd get 4 more hemorrhoidectomies before I'd deal with the odor. And if I had to get a colostomy, and there was an odor, I guess I'd stop working and go on disability. I guess the social stigma is a big deal for me. I don't want to stink.

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    My main concern is with the odor. I don't want to even smell it myself (and I'm very sensitive to odors). I'd get 4 more hemorrhoidectomies before I'd deal with the odor. And if I had to get a colostomy, and there was an odor, I guess I'd stop working and go on disability. I guess the social stigma is a big deal for me. I don't want to stink.

If there is a an odor, your not putting on the appliance properly.

There is an odor and there's just no way around it. 9 out of 10 won't know what it is but some will.

Trust me, if you have a spouse they'll be honest with you about the smell.

It is still worth it no matter the stigma IMHO.

I can smell mine about 25% of the time. It's faint but it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    I had this same concern BEFORE I got my colostomy 2 years ago. I only needed it for 3 months to help me through a stint of bed rest from a flap surgery. I learned how to care for it very quickly and I also learned about a little pill called devrom internal deoderizers. I take 1 each night and eat a very healthy diet. I've been irrigating for a little over 1 year now. Prior to irrigation I only smelled the contents of the bag when I removed it. I had a few leaks that smelled but that was user error because I wasn't using the right appliance. Now that I irrigate and take devrom there is no smell. My colostomy is awesome! I can go over 48 hours output free. I normally irrigate every 24 hours but sometimes get lazy or sometimes when I'm camping for the weekend I skip irrigating. So much freedom! Irrigation took me about 1 hour in the beginning but now it takes about 20-30 minutes. Don't let the social stigma fear that's out there keep you from doing something that could possibly be freeing to you if you're having trouble with your BP. My colostomy was supposed to be for 3 months and then I was going to get it reversed. I decided to keep it because it gives me so much social freedom and peace of mind! There are plenty of tools to help you manage every aspect of it.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

There is an odor and there's just no way around it. 9 out of 10 won't know what it is but some will.

Trust me, if you have a spouse they'll be honest with you about the smell.

It is still worth it no matter the stigma IMHO.

I can smell mine about 25% of the time. It's faint but it is there.
    As a quad who's had a colostomy since '05, I disagree. It's definitely possible to stay odor-free. I irrigate, but even when I eat stuff that goes through me before I get around to clearing it all out, I can fill a pouch and the only sign of it is visual.

I use 1 piece Coloplast Assura mini pouches, FWIW. A new pouch each time probably helps. They cost me a few cents over $2/ea.