Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy Questions For a Quad

I have a friend who is AB and she had to have a colostomy because of cancer and every once and a while she will rollover while sleeping and will end up with poop everywhere, but she can rollover in her sleep. I cant do that so I have never had that problem. I do sleep on my side but not on the side that the bag is on. I do roll to sit up on the side the bag is on and if it is full or close to full I just have to be aware of what I am doing when I roll over to sit up and keep an eye on it.

I have learned to never go to sleep with anything in the bag. Only because when sleeping you never know what is going on under the covers and since I can fill a bag up at any time I will aways go to sleep with a empty bag and since doing that I have never had a problem waking up with a bag that is over full or exploded.

I do keep a supply in bed of extra bags, extra wafer, scissors, basically every thing I could possibly need to change to avoid a mess or clean up a mess. The great thing is that if I do have a mess it is in my lap and not under me and I am not sitting in it. So much easier to clean and if I do have a situation it is usually because of something I ate that did not agree with me and we know that it does not always happen just once and that it will happen again and when it does I am ready for it and again it is in a bag and not in my jeans or my chair or my bed.

I personally would avoid sleeping on your stomach to avoid the possibility of a mess, like I said you never know what you will wake up with in the bag. If you are stretching your body just make sure the bag is empty or you have irrigated recently.

Stevie P
    Last edited by StevieP; 01-23-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Hey everyone my friend Chad (Big Sky 50) just had his colostomy done today (Monday the 11th) everything went well and I am going to see him for a few days over Presidents Day Weekend. I am sure he will get online soon with his tablet and let all of you know how he is doing.

I wanted to thank everyone for putting your two cents in and helping him make a decision and I am not just thanking the people who thought it was a good idea I am equally thanking everyone because without knowing the good and bad of something it would have been really hard for Chad to make a well thought out decision and one that he can live with knowing as much as he can and i am convinced that experance produces great wisdom, but it is not always the easiest road traveled.

That is the great thing about Care Cure, this forum, this thing we call a community. That even though we don't always agree with each other we can still encourage each other and even help each other through the hard times and laugh at each other in the fun and some times the embarrassing times.

Please shoot Big Sky 50 (Chad) a PM or a reply, he is going to have good days and bad ones and he is going to need some encouragement in this next month or two getting used to and learning how his pipes work now that they have been reroughted.

Thanks again everyone for being apart of Care Cure and apart of my family.

Stevie P

That's great. I know he is going to find things much easier for him. Like to hear the out come from him.

Hello everybody! I am now 2 days post op, and today is a lot better than yesterday. I am already feeling better and gaining strength back. The doc has me on a liquid diet, but hopefully that will start to change tomorrow as I am ready for some solid food.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky 50 View Post
    Hello everybody! I am now 2 days post op, and today is a lot better than yesterday. I am already feeling better and gaining strength back. The doc has me on a liquid diet, but hopefully that will start to change tomorrow as I am ready for some solid food.
    Glad to hear from you! Nice to hear that things are looking better already. Please feel free to ask any questions. I can pm you my phone number or email if you need any tips, tricks or "vents". Good luck to you!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

i love mine total freedom i could not have gone down the colorado 7 days and night without it

quad 6 and 7

hello everyone.. first of all-i am not from the us, i am from east europe so please excuse my bad english.
    i am quadryplegic-c5-c6 complete with no function on my fingers but good biceps and slightly movements on tryceps.from chest down i have no control over my body but i have some sensation and i feel pain in some areas, actually right now i feel a big pain on my prostate .and bleeding .. i had my accident in 1998 ..i need badly a colostomy but i am very scared and after
    ive read this thread i still have some questions.please read my post , try to understand what i wrote and try to answer to all my questions as i can accass the computer once in three days...

in what way this colostomy helps ? i mean why we cant defecate like norrmal people do ? where is that area in the colon that is making the problem so that i know where to make the surgery ?
    how much time it takes for the food after is eaten , to go in the bag ? i mean if i want to go on a trip , to know when to eat..
    when the surgery is made , one part of the colon is take out but the other end will be sealed , so that when i want to make an endoscopy on the rectum and tthey blow air my abdomen wouldnt be inflate my abdomen ?
    what to do if ill have mucus leakage , how to clean it up ?
    the colon clean itself , it pushes everything out or i must irrigate so that i wont smell ?
    is it ok if i wont eat a day or two , so i can be free ?
    right now i eat one day and for two days i drink tea wild camomile and no food..
    is it better to make illeostomy or colostomy ?
    what if in the unused part of the colon will remain stool ? will it make infections ?
    is it reversible , if i want it back again , it can be reunited ?

those are my worries, i am very very scared , .here in hospitals is not so safe , i have had bad experiences.
    i hope some of you could answer to my questions.
    thank you in advance
    Last edited by W33man; 02-18-2013 at 05:56 PM.

I'm glad it's going well. It just gets easier from here. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by W33man View Post
    really nobody care ?
    social issues are the biggest problem with having a colostomy

oh yeah and the sci doesn't help either