Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy Questions For a Quad

I am contemplating what also. I sleep on my left side and my stomach. Well I be able to continue this practice? Will the bag pull off if I gently snag it when I roll over?

Thanks

Yes, you can still lay prone or on your side, but will need to be sure that you bridge the appliance/bag with pillows or foam to avoid pressure right over the stoma, as this can cause a "blow off". If you have problems dislodging the appliance when turning or during exercise, your CWOCN may recommend an ostomy belt to help secure it better.

(KLD)

KLD- thank you for your quick response. How tall would the foam have to be? This sounds uncomfortable. Would the foam have to be above and below the stoma (on my body)?

And I think I understand, but would you please explain a blowout.

Quote Originally Posted by Sic 'em Bears View Post
    KLD- thank you for your quick response. How tall would the foam have to be? This sounds uncomfortable. Would the foam have to be above and below the stoma (on my body)?

I sleep on myside and have no problems with that.

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    It does depend on area of colon. Ileostomies tend to have more liquid output than colostomies do. Not sure where in the bowel this changes it is either the higher you go or the lower you go is the switch my WOCN and my old EMT preceptor would kill me if I told them I was not sure but I forgot some months ago because it doesn't matter to me.

EMT preceptor? I thought you studied culinary arts.

I did but I also was a volunteer EMT when I was AB
    You're a trained EMT, too?

An EMT preceptor I had while I was training to take the EMT test do you even know what the hell you are talking about? I think not so stop. He was my trainer or preceptor. I think you need a dictionary.

A dictionary? Unnecessary, dear.

Studying to become an EMT and having a preceptor do not an EMT make.

I'm thoroughly stunned you were studying to become an EMT, were accepted into and enrolled in such a competitive program given the paralysis issues you have had for more than a decade. Those combined with your heart and kidney issues would make such a physically demanding job all, but impossible.

EMTs have to be the fittest of the fit. In New York, both physical and psychological tests are given to ensure those accepted into programs and studying to become EMTs are fit in body and mind. It's a grueling, grinding biz, even for volunteers.

Were you registered with the State of New York as an EMT?

I said it was when I was AB I am done posting to you idiot
    Ashleigh, you are relatively young. From your posts here, at Caring Bridge and elsewhere, you have said you have had numbness problems and related MS issues for a decade, even though you were not diagnosed for a while. The diagnosis is fairly recent considering the longevity of symptoms.

Were you an actual EMT pre MS diagnosis?

Perhaps you two could start your own EMT training thread somewhere else or PM about this topic. The topic of this thread has been totally diverted. Thanks!

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Sic 'em Bears View Post

3-4 inch foam should work, or just roll onto pillows with one above and one below your stoma. Needed more for sleeping prone (on your stomach) than on your side.

Blow-out = bag pop (either the bag ruptures, or pops off the faceplate).

(KLD)