Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy Questions For a Quad

Red face

hmmm i see my belly button everyday sometimes several. i use a 2 piece. change 2 to 3 time a day depending on what i have eaten

lol the first time it whistle scared the poo out of me. its funny adnd embarrasing but nothing u can do. Not like my son who loves to fart he was not raised thaT WAY

Thanks for the input everybody! I do wear both slacks and jeans, depending if I'm at work or not. I can see how slacks will give a guy more room for the bag compared to my tighter fitting jeans.
    Rainman - Good stuff! The added story is great. Way to close the deal.
    Deadeye- I like your point of trying to conceal the bag for business.
    vjls - Where is the location of your stoma?

Mine is below the waist line and it was never a problem before I started irrigating last year. I wear all the same clothing as I did before but for the first few months I was a little swollen and wore mostly draw string pants or sweats. I started irrigating last December and now I don't really have to worry about emptying or dealing with the bag 99% of the time. Occassionally I might have a little present in my bag if I ate something that didn't agree with me. Adhering to a pretty strict diet helps a lot.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I always start out with my pants above my belly button, but once up in the chair the belt and pants slide below my quad gut. I'm thinking about a colostomy (if I can muster the courage). Are there any quads with quad belly who've worked out a workable location for the stoma.

Quote Originally Posted by beckman View Post
    I always start out with my pants above my belly button, but once up in the chair the belt and pants slide below my quad gut. I'm thinking about a colostomy (if I can muster the courage). Are there any quads with quad belly who've worked out a workable location for the stoma.
    I think most quads have a quad belly to some degree. Mine isn't exactly a 6 pack or a keg, more like a mini-keg. This is my stoma and how I position my bag. My belt is typically right at the top each of ring. In the summer, and I have my shirt off, I simply fold down the top corner of the bag into my pants so it's not visible.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

thanks Deadeye thats helpful

Mine looks exactly like deideye.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    I think most quads have a quad belly to some degree. Mine isn't exactly a 6 pack or a keg, more like a mini-keg. This is my stoma and how I position my bag. My belt is typically right at the top each of ring. In the summer, and I have my shirt off, I simply fold down the top corner of the bag into my pants so it's not visible.
    DeadEye,
    What kind of bag is that? Brand? I used a clear bag in the very beging now I use a bag that has cloth on it and it is the color of skin, also you can not see the poop in the bag because the bag is white and has the beige cloth over it. The filter on your bag looks big, does it work good? Does it get plugged up with poop sometimes? I am thinking about designing a bag and calling Hallister and seeing if they would be interested in making it. I have some thoughts about the placement of the filter so it does not get clogged.

Here is a photo of my bag that I use, it is from Hollister. The bag also has tabs that I guess you can strap it on as well.
    It is the New Image and it snaps on to the wafer i put on my skin like Tupperware.
    The first photo you can see the white filter that is filled with charcoal so it helps the smell for a while and still lets out gas. For a while I used to put drops of vanilla extract to help with the smell and I think their is a green pill that you can take to help with your smell.

Did you know that chewing gum makes you fart.

Stevie P

I tried these bag liners that go inside the ostomy bags. They say that they are disposable/flushable/biodegradable but they were really not. I talked to the guy who made them and he said if they were actually biodegradable (flushable) they would dissolve when they had poop in them. Sometimes they worked good and sometimes they would not hold and come apart at the seams. It would really depend how much you filled the bag. because if you filled the bag up it was hard to get out of the hole in the Hollister bag. They were kind of expensive. They would send you 1 or two to try out, but the smallest amount you buy was 100 of them for like $70 dollars. It did not work for me. I still have the liners if any one wants to try a few to see how they work.

Anyone ever try these? What was your experience?

What system does everyone use? Post some photos?

Stevie P

Deadeye - Thanks for uploading the photo. That is helpful to see the placement of the stoma and how it fits under your jeans.

My surgeon is recommending I have my stoma placed above my belly button. It would be nice to hear from somebody who has their stoma up higher.

The reasons to have the stoma below the belly button make sense, just trying to hear from different areas of placement.