Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy Questions For a Quad

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    c6c7

take 5 minutes to change the poch i use 2 system i get dirrea a lot so i always put a plastic down on lap change and put waste in ingles grocery sack throw away.

i uses toliet paper and wash rags wadh rags twice with beach so clean and sanatized.

freedom
    I believe it depends on the area of the colon if you are going to have solid or watery stool. In the sigmoid area you have more solid stool. I have just the opposite stool. Mine is usually thick or solid like pebbles. So i'l eat stuff to loosen it up.

Blog Entries

Nothing to be sorry about.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Sorry.
    I admire your chutzpah. As for your new poop chute, I just pray I can keep using the anotomically means we were born with, but I wonder if I got it wrong since having the deep gel chair cushion I can't release gas without literally being transferred off my chair and onto my bed. Sucks.
    Merry Xmas bowels.
    I always thought you were an asshole.

Something that I have been using that is working really good is a Diaper Genie that I got a Walmart. because I live in a ski town the parking lot gets all snow packed and it is hard to get to the dumpster. I have someone come once a week to do heavy cleaning and she takes out the bag with all of the pouches as well. The Diaper Genie really works great when I used to just put them in the garbage I use to have to take them out to the dumpster every other day and that was putting the pouch in a bag that came with them. now I just put them in the Diaper Genie and they can sit for a week and do not smell at all, it is amazing.
    The only thing is that to open the lid you have to step on a foot pedal on the bottom. I remember when I bought it I set it up in the isle at Walmart and tried to see if I could get it to open using my front caster and it worked.

Stevie P

does anybody have their stoma above their belly button and wear their pants below the stoma. I tried a bag on below and above my belly button and above works the best. The problem is I tuck my shirts in for work, which will leave a bulge in many shirt. I must wear too tight of pants because of the bag is lower there isn't any room in my pants for the bag to fill up. I am eager to know more about the placement of the stoma and bag for people as I want to keep wearing my regular clothes.

I believe most if not all stomas are below the waistline [belly-button]. I would think because of gravity. Some colostomy bags make noises when they are filling up. Your pants tend to muffle this nosie. Pants will also protect the appliance from being accidentally pulled on. If the adhesive begins to loosen from your skin than you are setting yourself up for leakage.

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    I believe most if not all stomas are below the waistline [belly-button]. I would think because of gravity. Some colostomy bags make noises when they are filling up. Your pants tend to muffle this nosie. Pants will also protect the appliance from being accidentally pulled on. If the adhesive begins to loosen from your skin than you are setting yourself up for leakage.
    Thanks Peegy for the insight! I tried a bag on to see the positioning of it, and when it is below my waist it folds at a 90 degree angle against my leg. As a beg fold maybe this won't be an issue. The placement definitely seems crucial to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky 50 View Post
    Thanks Peegy for the insight! I tried a bag on to see the positioning of it, and when it is below my waist it folds at a 90 degree angle against my leg. As a beg fold maybe this won't be an issue. The placement definitely seems crucial to me.
    The folding of the bag isn't a issue. Because you should change the bag once it's 1/3 full. Plus your probably getting your stoma in the sigmoid area which means your stool should be mostly solid not watery. Plus if you get it above your belly button it will show. Plus once you've been changing it for awhile it will get much easier.

Let me put it this way. I went from my bowel program dictating my days to now there in after thought. I don't even think about them anymore. I change it when I have 15 to 20 minutes to kill.

The only draw back. And it's not a draw back to me because I don't care what people think. It does farts at times. I'll be sitting in my office with clients and sometimes it will speak out. I fine it funny. The clients have never said anything about it yet. And it has happen atleast 20 times over the last three months. But if your worried about that just don't eat no gassy foods.

Infact I'll tell you a funny story that happen today. I was on the phone trying to close a auto policy with a woman and while I was talking to her I stretched way back and let out a whopper. I knew she heard it but she just carried along like she didn't and I closed the deal. BTW, I had a steak bomb with everything on it including onions, and red and green peppers loaded on it. I need to control my eating habbits on working hours. But damn I just couldn't pass that sub up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Plus if you get it above your belly button it will show.
    It seems like I'd need to get rid of my quad belly to put it below my belly button?

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I haven't seen my belly button since my quad gut appeared either.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky 50 View Post
    Mine is 1.5" below my belly button and I have always worn my bag at a 45 degree angle and it's never created a problem. Emptying it when it's a third full is not always an option for me. I couldn't imagine trying to conceal the bag above the waistline and being able to dress for business.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein