Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 114

Thread: Colostomy Questions For a Quad

  1. #31
    Senior Member StevieP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Winter Park / Fraser, CO
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    All surgery has inherent risk, all surgery has potential side effects. All colostomies are not created equal, the results you get may be exactly as you had hoped for, then again they may not. Ask yourself, is your system so broken that you feel the additional trauma you put your body thru, and/ or potential post installation complications you may experience, to be worth it? My bp has been no picnic since sci day one, and my main physiatrist was after me to go colo by citing many former patient references that were happy they did go colo. I checked with these references and found that they were either 60+ in age, or had to get their colos as incident to another operation, ie; flap or rectal surgeries, etc. Me? I was 42 with an annoying bp that I suffered thru daily. My MD couldn't understand why I wasn't jumping to go colo. What he didn't consider is that I didn't have 24/7 nurses or caregivers provided by my family, or my insurance, or worker's comp, disability, PI settlement, or Medicare. Who's going to maintain the hole? Me? I'm c4/5 and former IBS patient. My sci and complications are bad enough, so did I really want to risk blow outs, lose waffles, etc, causing me to smell like a sewer too?
    Tim,
    You have some very good points and reasons for you not to do it, and that is ok. I am T-3/T-4 and I chose to have it done and it has made my life just a little more normal. I am no longer controlled by my BP or the time it takes to do it.
    You are also right that no colostomies are created equal, that is why I would encourage you to have it done out of a SCI rehab hospital (like Craig Hospital) in colorado. My doctor that is all he did was work on SCI so him and his ostomy nurse understood what was best for the patient.

    The surgery was not Hellish at all and that may be because I have no feeling from my chest down so I had no pain when I woke up from surgery I felt like I had, had the best nap ever and actually had to see if they had done the surgery. I would say the only thing that was a pain for the 4 or 5 days spent in the hospital afterwords they really had to clamp down on what food I was allowed to eat. and I would also say that the first month was a huge learning curve.

    Steve P

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
    What are you using the flax seed in?

    Since i have been using the flax seeds in a smoothy every morning my poop has been thick, consistant, and super easy to manage my colostomy with changing the bag (poop moves nice and slow). It has not been runny or messy at all.

    I bought one of the Nutrabullit machines. (Bed Bath and Beyond) and with that machine I do not have to grind the flax seeds first.

    Every morning I make a smoothy and it tast great and has totally controlled my type 2 diabetes. I am still taking the medication but before the smoothies if was out of control even with the medication.

    here is my recipe:
    Spinach or Kale - (fresh) the spinach in the bag is the easiest to use, but I think the kale has better stuff in it. I use about a handfull of either.
    Half a large banana - (fresh)
    Strawberries - (frozen) 3 large or 4 small
    Blueberries - (frozen) 1/4 cup
    Cherries - (frozen) 1/4 cup (make sure they have no pits)
    Coconut Drink (not water) this is not measured and I usually use 1/2 water also.
    Flax seeds - one soup spoon (round kind)
    Maca (a root from Costa Rica that give you energy) 1/4 to 1/2 tbs.
    Sometimes I add things like almonds or 4 mint mm's

    This has changed my life, I have honestly not felt this good since my accident I have been doing it for about 4 months now and have gotten over my addiction to soda, I still have one if I am eating mexican food or pizza, but I have lost the craving for it.

    If any one would like more info on the smoothies or have any questions let me know.

    Stevie P
    Thanks again. I didn't even know of flax seeds before you mention them. And it sounded like something that would be good for me and i'm trying to eat healthier. So i'm going to try it. I was thinking of trying to add it to an insure drink.

    I love taco's and pizza to. But I won't give them up.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    All surgery has inherent risk, all surgery has potential side effects. All colostomies are not created equal, the results you get may be exactly as you had hoped for, then again they may not. Ask yourself, is your system so broken that you feel the additional trauma you put your body thru, and/ or potential post installation complications you may experience, to be worth it? My bp has been no picnic since sci day one, and my main physiatrist was after me to go colo by citing many former patient references that were happy they did go colo. I checked with these references and found that they were either 60+ in age, or had to get their colos as incident to another operation, ie; flap or rectal surgeries, etc. Me? I was 42 with an annoying bp that I suffered thru daily. My MD couldn't understand why I wasn't jumping to go colo. What he didn't consider is that I didn't have 24/7 nurses or caregivers provided by my family, or my insurance, or worker's comp, disability, PI settlement, or Medicare. Who's going to maintain the hole? Me? I'm c4/5 and former IBS patient. My sci and complications are bad enough, so did I really want to risk blow outs, lose waffles, etc, causing me to smell like a sewer too?
    Timc, with all due respect. I don't think you know what your talking about. You would have better odds of shitting your pants then having a colostomy bag blowout. And if you had a colostomy you would need less nursing because she could change that bag in 10 minutes, and the most it would need to be done is twice a day. And you would fine you really don't have a bp that take up much of your time.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Tim C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,203
    Blog Entries
    1

    Post Rain, I shared a hospital room with a colo and

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Timc, with all due respect. I don't think you know what your talking about. You would have better odds of shitting your pants then having a colostomy bag blowout. And if you had a colostomy you would need less nursing because she could change that bag in 10 minutes, and the most it would need to be done is twice a day. And you would fine you really don't have a bp that take up much of your time.
    ....the only time that the room (and it was a large 4-banger) smelled normal was when he was not there. Now I'm sure that was more anomaly than normal but it made me wonder because the appliance was cared for professionally by the SCI nurses. Are not the bags vented for gas build-up? That aside, you mentioned exactly a real concern, even just changing it 2x day requires a skilled person nearby if you're a quad. Plus, if your skin is sensitive to the adhesive like mine is, it makes the procedure a bit more delicate. I already have an SP hole and I must worry that the daily install of tape holding the gauze doesn't cause skin breakdown. I must pay for my caregivers and I find that even $150/day people barely know how to operate a TV remote. Undoubtedly, colos are a very practical choice for many SCI, giving them a certain freedom and peace of mind which I applaud, but it's just not for everyone. As long as I can avoid it I will.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    ....the only time that the room (and it was a large 4-banger) smelled normal was when he was not there. Now I'm sure that was more anomaly than normal but it made me wonder because the appliance was cared for professionally by the SCI nurses. Are not the bags vented for gas build-up? That aside, you mentioned exactly a real concern, even just changing it 2x day requires a skilled person nearby if you're a quad. Plus, if your skin is sensitive to the adhesive like mine is, it makes the procedure a bit more delicate. I already have an SP hole and I must worry that the daily install of tape holding the gauze doesn't cause skin breakdown. I must pay for my caregivers and I find that even $150/day people barely know how to operate a TV remote. Undoubtedly, colos are a very practical choice for many SCI, giving them a certain freedom and peace of mind which I applaud, but it's just not for everyone. As long as I can avoid it I will.
    Timc, you have some good points. But I think the suprap is more difficult to take care of.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Tim C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,203
    Blog Entries
    1

    Good points: as do you,

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Timc, you have some good points. But I think the suprap is more difficult to take care of.
    I admire your political commentaries too, colo notwithstanding, clearly you've never been castrated.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    I admire your political commentaries too, colo notwithstanding, clearly you've never been castrated.
    Sorry.

  8. #38
    Senior Member StevieP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Winter Park / Fraser, CO
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Thanks again. I didn't even know of flax seeds before you mention them. And it sounded like something that would be good for me and i'm trying to eat healthier. So i'm going to try it. I was thinking of trying to add it to an insure drink.

    I love taco's and pizza to. But I won't give them up.
    I love them to and I still eat them, but I am trying to eat them less an less. I am a web designer/graphic designer and I am working with a local Mexican restaurant and we are trading so I have about years worth of eating Mexican food. Even their I can eat healthy if I want to. One of the best things that I did cut out was soda, it was so hard. But now it is not a problem and when I do have a soda it has no High Fructose Corn Syrup only Cane Sugar and it taste so good. It is either soda or desert.

    Some of my problem is that I have so much pain, and I eat out of my emotions which are two things that do no go together, and I love FOOD!!!

    Stevie P

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
    I love them to and I still eat them, but I am trying to eat them less an less. I am a web designer/graphic designer and I am working with a local Mexican restaurant and we are trading so I have about years worth of eating Mexican food. Even their I can eat healthy if I want to. One of the best things that I did cut out was soda, it was so hard. But now it is not a problem and when I do have a soda it has no High Fructose Corn Syrup only Cane Sugar and it taste so good. It is either soda or desert.

    Some of my problem is that I have so much pain, and I eat out of my emotions which are two things that do no go together, and I love FOOD!!!

    Stevie P
    I never cared for soda's. Pizza and taco's all the time.

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    middle georgia
    Posts
    2,314
    c6c7

    take 5 minutes to change the poch i use 2 system i get dirrea a lot so i always put a plastic down on lap change and put waste in ingles grocery sack throw away.


    i uses toliet paper and wash rags wadh rags twice with beach so clean and sanatized.


    freedom

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about colostomy
    By TerokNor in forum Care
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 07:42 PM
  2. Colostomy Questions
    By StarLord in forum Care
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-09-2010, 03:23 PM
  3. colostomy questions???
    By newbee in forum Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 10:06 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 07:56 AM
  5. Quad and irrigating a colostomy
    By RMoore in forum Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 10:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •