Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Colostomy Questions For a Quad

Let us know if we can be of any help. Good luck in your decision and let us know what it is. I applaud your thoroughness.
    CKF

I'm curious as to the location of the ostomy for those that have them. Are they at, below, or above belt line? For the quads out there, do you find it easier being placed above the belt line for managing it, so you do not have the unbutton your jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky 50 View Post
    I'm curious as to the location of the ostomy for those that have them. Are they at, below, or above belt line? For the quads out there, do you find it easier being placed above the belt line for managing it, so you do not have the unbutton your jeans.
    Mine is about an inch and a half below my belly button. My (old man) belt line is about two inches above my belly button.

I'm a c7 quad as well and prefer that the bag be 100% contained in my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Mine is about an inch and a half below my belly button. My (old man) belt line is about two inches above my belly button.

I'm a c7 quad as well and prefer that the bag be 100% contained in my pants.
    Exactly. If it's not INside your pants, how can you conceal it? I'm C5-6 and just unzip to work on it.

Mine is about 1 1/2" left and below my belly button. I can wear pants at, or just below, my belly button without the bag being visible. I wear my bag at 45 degree angle also and can always fold over the top corner if it is slightly visible.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I started drinking a smoothly every morning with Flax Seeds and I really have become regular in my bowel movements, in both areas of firmness and regularity of timing as well. I am finding that what you put in your body (eat),really Has an effect on what comes out of your body.

Did you know that if you chew gum it gives you gas.

Stevie P

Mine is about 1.5 inches to the left of my belly button and 1.5 inches down. Doesn't interfere with my pants at all.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
    I started drinking a smoothly every morning with Flax Seeds and I really have become regular in my bowel movements, in both areas of firmness and regularity of timing as well. I am finding that what you put in your body (eat),really Has an effect on what comes out of your body.

Did you know that if you chew gum it gives you gas.

Stevie P
    Do you mix the seeds into the smoothy or eat them on the side?

I hope you guys don't mind if I participate in your thread. I'm getting a colostomy and urostomy at the same time in January. Being a C6/C7 with limited function in one hand and none in the other, I'm in a very similar situation as Chad and have a lot of the same questions. I know ouaa.org is a great resource, but I'm really interested in hearing specifically what those with a SCI have to say. So far so good. I'm still doing my homework on the basics of having and caring for an ostomy(s) after which I'm sure I'll have some questions as well.
    C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Boompow View Post
    I hope you guys don't mind if I participate in your thread. I'm getting a colostomy and urostomy at the same time in January. Being a C6/C7 with limited function in one hand and none in the other, I'm in a very similar situation as Chad and have a lot of the same questions. I know ouaa.org is a great resource, but I'm really interested in hearing specifically what those with a SCI have to say. So far so good. I'm still doing my homework on the basics of having and caring for an ostomy(s) after which I'm sure I'll have some questions as well.
    I just got mine sept 25th.. And my level is exactly like yours. C6-7 got fingers and triceps in right arm and only bicep in left. And I fine it very easy to care for it. Made life a whole lot easier. I basicly don't have a bowel program other then taking 15 to 20 minutes to change the bag. No more bloating. I feel a whole lot better and stronger believe it or not.

Thanks for everybody's input! I use a button hook to button my pants, so I'm curious if anybody has their stoma above their beltline. I tuck my shirts into my pants, so trying to figure out the combination of a descrete place but accessible.

I actually tried one on with a wound care nurse today that was above my beltline and the bage would either hang over my jeans or be bunched up under my shirt.