Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy Questions For a Quad

I had 1 of these and The thing F * C K I N G SUCKED!!! That states it mildly. I should have shot the doctors who did this shit. I did have tons of other abdominal issues from my accident. 1 THERE IS QUESTION IF STOOL WAS THE STUFF ON MY SPINAL CORD INSIDE ME THAT DID WHAT i AM NOW. 2 THE THING ALWAYS LEAKED SHIT ALL OVER THE PLACE. I WAS SO PISSED THEY PUT ME IN MENTAL HOSPITAL. I should have thrown the damn shit bags at them. The placement was sort of over hip bone and would NEVER attach securely. FINAL, I was so pissed off, THEY HAD TO REVERSE THE DAMN THING. That only brief of story. I would DIFINATELY NOT SUGGEST DOING THAT VOLUNTARILY.
    Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 12-20-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: TYPO

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    I had 1 of these and The thing F * C K I N G SUCKED!!! That states it mildly. I should have shot the doctors who did this shit. I did have tons of other abdominal issues from my accident. 1 THERE IS QUESTION IF STOOL WAS THE STUFF ON MY SPINAL CORD INSIDE ME THAT DID WHAT i AM NOW. 2 THE THING ALWAYS LEAKED SHIT ALL OVER THE PLACE. I WAS SO PISSED THEY PUT ME IN MENTAL HOSPITAL. I should have thrown the damn shit bags at them. The placement was sort of over hip bone and would NEVER attach securely. FINAL, I was so pissed off, THEY HAD TO REVERSE THE DAMN THING. That only brief of story. I would DIFINATELY NOT SUGGEST DOING THAT VOLUNTARILY.
    You obviously had a bad experience and most likely a Dr and nursing staff that didn't understand your needs or the procedure very well. There are plenty of us that are very happy with our decisions and they haven't committed us yet.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    I've never even came close of having a leak. I think your location of your stoma must of been the problem. Because it is easy to secure the equipment to keep that from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Do you mix the seeds into the smoothy or eat them on the side?
    You have to grind the flax seeds, if you eat them whole they will go right through you. You can either use a coffee grinder or the machine that I have grinds them up at the same time. You can also get flax meal but you have to keep it in the fridge and it will expire. in the seed form you can keep it much longer.

Stevie P

Quote Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
    You have to grind the flax seeds, if you eat them whole they will go right through you. You can either use a coffee grinder or the machine that I have grinds them up at the same time. You can also get flax meal but you have to keep it in the fridge and it will expire. in the seed form you can keep it much longer.

Stevie P
    Thanks.

ranman, deadey...I was in hospital 5-1/2 YEARS after accident. 10+ years after accident, I go back for checkup enter in front door at hospital and nurses come up to me asking how I am doing. I noti even know who they were. He...good side of mental hospital was place I got BEST THERAPY. My nurse was a body builder. He took me walking every day.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Thanks.
    What are you using the flax seed in?

Since i have been using the flax seeds in a smoothy every morning my poop has been thick, consistant, and super easy to manage my colostomy with changing the bag (poop moves nice and slow). It has not been runny or messy at all.

I bought one of the Nutrabullit machines. (Bed Bath and Beyond) and with that machine I do not have to grind the flax seeds first.

Every morning I make a smoothy and it tast great and has totally controlled my type 2 diabetes. I am still taking the medication but before the smoothies if was out of control even with the medication.

here is my recipe:
    Spinach or Kale - (fresh) the spinach in the bag is the easiest to use, but I think the kale has better stuff in it. I use about a handfull of either.
    Half a large banana - (fresh)
    Strawberries - (frozen) 3 large or 4 small
    Blueberries - (frozen) 1/4 cup
    Cherries - (frozen) 1/4 cup (make sure they have no pits)
    Coconut Drink (not water) this is not measured and I usually use 1/2 water also.
    Flax seeds - one soup spoon (round kind)
    Maca (a root from Costa Rica that give you energy) 1/4 to 1/2 tbs.
    Sometimes I add things like almonds or 4 mint mm's

This has changed my life, I have honestly not felt this good since my accident I have been doing it for about 4 months now and have gotten over my addiction to soda, I still have one if I am eating mexican food or pizza, but I have lost the craving for it.

If any one would like more info on the smoothies or have any questions let me know.

Stevie P

Hi, I'm Karen and I'm new on the forum. Can I ask you something? What are the short term and long term risks
    If you want to lose weight quickly, just visit http://bajapesosemana.blogspot.com to find good tips on how to lose weight.

Blog Entries

Simple answer from a non colo member

Quote Originally Posted by karen_in_china View Post
    Hi, I'm Karen and I'm new on the forum. Can I ask you something? What are the short term and long term risks
    Just ask yourself, after the hellish surgeries you may have went thru already, why put your body thru any more? I even regret the supra-pubic I was duped into getting, i still suffer pain from it 8 yrs later.

Blog Entries
    All surgery has inherent risk, all surgery has potential side effects. All colostomies are not created equal, the results you get may be exactly as you had hoped for, then again they may not. Ask yourself, is your system so broken that you feel the additional trauma you put your body thru, and/ or potential post installation complications you may experience, to be worth it? My bp has been no picnic since sci day one, and my main physiatrist was after me to go colo by citing many former patient references that were happy they did go colo. I checked with these references and found that they were either 60+ in age, or had to get their colos as incident to another operation, ie; flap or rectal surgeries, etc. Me? I was 42 with an annoying bp that I suffered thru daily. My MD couldn't understand why I wasn't jumping to go colo. What he didn't consider is that I didn't have 24/7 nurses or caregivers provided by my family, or my insurance, or worker's comp, disability, PI settlement, or Medicare. Who's going to maintain the hole? Me? I'm c4/5 and former IBS patient. My sci and complications are bad enough, so did I really want to risk blow outs, lose waffles, etc, causing me to smell like a sewer too?