Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy Questions For a Quad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Colostomy Questions For a Quad

Hey everyone
    I have a Colostomy and I have had if for almost 4 years, I often talk to people who are thinking about having one, I do this because I remember how hard and how long it took me to get my head around having it done. It actually took a quad friend Chris Chappel to convince to get it done, he actually spent quite a bit of time with me answering questions and actually met me at Craig Hospital (he works there) when I met the doctor who was going to do the surgery.

With all that said I now have a friend Chad who is a quad and is asking the same questions that I was, but he can not seem to convince himself to have the colostomy or not to have it done. A lot of his questions are with the amount of function he has with his hands and will he be able to manage his care after he has his operation.

I would like to get some feedback on this thread so he can read and ask some questions about how other quads manage their colostomy on a day to day.

Chad is a C5-C6 and has had the hand surgery that uses the tendens in the arm to help the hands close.

Thanks for you help with this, it's what makes this community great.
    Stevie P

I will leave this for the true experts. However, you might want to check the threads to see what has been written previously.
    CKF

I'm a c6-7, got my colostomy just over 2 months ago. I'm really glad I did. It makes life a lot easier. And I physically feel a lot better. No more bloating. As far as taking care of it. It takes me about 15 to 25 minutes in the morning and evening to change the equipment. It only took a couple of days to feel comfortable to do it. Now I do have some finger movement in my right hand and none in the left.

Chad here is the thread.

Hey StevieP, thanks for starting the thread to see the pros/cons regarding a Colostomy. What are the short term and long term risks?

The pro's and con's are pretty well spelled out by the UACC, and vary from person to person.

I am not sure if that is what you are talking about when you say "risks".

CKF

Hey everyone Big Sky 50 is my friend Chad so lets here from some of the Quads who have had a colostomy done.

What is your level of injury?
    Hand function?
    How long you have had your colostomy?
    What brand of ostomy supplies do you use?
    Do you need help with your care?

Also share with Chad any other Pros or Cons that came along with your Colostomy my goal is not to get Chad to have the surgery but for him and others to be able to make a wise decision for their life.

I know for me it was a good decision and I am thankful that I did it.

Thanks everyone
    Steve Pisano

Quote Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
    Hey everyone Big Sky 50 is my friend Chad so lets here from some of the Quads who have had a colostomy done.

What is your level of injury?
    Hand function?
    How long you have had your colostomy?
    What brand of ostomy supplies do you use?
    Do you need help with your care?

Also share with Chad any other Pros or Cons that came along with your Colostomy my goal is not to get Chad to have the surgery but for him and others to be able to make a wise decision for their life.

I know for me it was a good decision and I am thankful that I did it.

Thanks everyone
    Steve Pisano
    Hi, I'm not a quad but thought I would answer anyway in case there are any other questions.

~I'm T-10 complete
    ~Full hand function
    ~I've had my ostomy for 2 years
    ~I use the convatec moldable 2 piece technology. I did not like cutting the wafers to fit so the moldable wafers work great. Saves a lot of time and could really benefit someone with limited hand function.
    ~I do not require help but a quad friend of mine has had one for a couple of years. She spends about 25 minutes per day managing it and requires help about once a week when changing her gear.

I know a few quads and para's with ostomy's and none of them are unhappy with their ostomy at all. One of them summed it up with "hey, I needed help with my bowl program before my ostomy and now I need less help with it".

I'm happy to help in anyway in regards to supplies, personal experience, diet, ect.....Hope this helps some.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Colostomy

I have had 24 surgeries and one of the only ones that had good result, improved mmy quality of life was the Colostomy Surgery. It truly saved y ass... One reason is , my Ass was on the porcelain throne just about as much as I spent sleeping/ My bathroom issues were a nightmare. I now tos a bag in the Lemon scented Trash bags and pity the trash collectors who are tasked with taking my trash cans every week. If I has rich I would give them a huge Christmas present. That bring me to the negative. WOW.... this is kinda gross, but then what isn't gross when you have a SCI??? The smell for everyone, no one is different or amused to this DOWN SIDE... smells like , %^$#. No escaping it... that's the down side WHeeeewwww... When you remove the bad to tie it up and toss it... I think the neighbors probably know because it find its way down there Chimney and through the tiny space in the door jambs! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it smells like. the worst thing you can imagine. You will learn to get past it, your loved ones will eventually get past it... but.. it is seriously a DOWNSIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    big sky go to the UOAA.org site lots of info there as well. ask any questions that you may have there are several people on here that have them as well.
    Smashms thanks for the link I am checking it out to see what the site has to offer, actually when you go to the UOAA.org it actually goes to http://www.ostomy.org/ so either one will take you to the same place.

Stevie P