Thread: knee injury

knee injury

i have a C5-7 incomplete injury. i walk mostly with a walker, unless it is a distance...then i use a w/c. last sat i fell and twisted my right leg. that is my affected leg. i wear an afo. i have not been able to bear any weight on the right since then. i saw my doc tues. she ordered a x-ray, but believes it is a miniscus inj. i am taking tylenol but i don't feel any pain. i must have pain though because my knee flies up any time i try to straighten it.

has anyone had any experience with this type of inj? i guess i will need sugery, huh?

It does sound like a meniscus tear. MRI will often pinpoint the specific site of the injury, but the treatment is usually surgery to "clean up" the ragged edges of the tear and remove debris from the knee region. A torn meniscus is typically caused by a twist injury, and does not heal on its own.

I have very bad tears of my left lateral and medial menisci, and the pain is excruciating. My leg, like yours, flies up when I try to straighten it, and turning over in bed is a nightmare. Weight-bearing without my KAFO is impossible. So you're right, even though you cannot feel pain, your body is responding to that stimulus.

Whether or not you are a good candidate for surgery depends on how well you will be able to do the rehab. Knees are quite prone to blood clots, and if the leg cannot be exercised properly, failure to heal and/or serious postop complications can ensue.

I have known several people who have had the surgery, with good results - but they were able to exercise and maintain good range-of-motion. In my case, there is so much atrophy and paralysis that my neurologist, physiatrist and orthopedic surgeon agree that surgery would be inadvisable, so I just live with the situation. But your circumstances might be quite different, and it would be a good idea for you to see an orthopedist who specializes in treatment and surgery of the knee.

Best wishes with this.

Thanks for your reply Bonnette. I have an appt with an ortho 12/6. I am hopeful that we can get this resolved although I really do not have much control over that knee and I have found that I need to position it "just so" in order to maintain balance.

I know what you mean about the lack of control and balance issue with that knee, ima2003. I hope that you will get really good advice and a workable plan of action at your ortho appointment, and that you'll have some relief soon!

It sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Any chance your primary care doc would order an MRI before the Ortho appt? That would help to speed up the process.
    CKF

I had an mri last week that showed a hairline fx of my distal femur. The doc said it was already healing. He also did x rays of the entire femur to be sure he wasn't missing anything. He wasn't. He ordered a kafo for me. I have to say that my pain has decreased with what i was doing...non-wt bearing and ice. I am slowly starting to bear wt, but i am really carefull about how much and how often. Any comments about the kafo? I'm hoping it will give me much more support. I want to continue walking as much as i can.

I'm so glad to hear you've been diagnosed and that the fracture is already healing!

Yes, do be careful about weight-bearing until you get your KAFO. I love my KAFO and am virtually pain-free in my left leg when I'm wearing it; in very bad pain without it. It's been like a miracle, having that KAFO. With forearm crutches, I can ambulate for up to half an hour at a time in my KAFO - which would be absolutely impossible, otherwise.

Your injury is different from mine, but even so I feel confident in saying that the KAFO will afford you much more stability and ease in walking. The most important thing is to have it made by a really good orthotist who determines exactly the type/design you need, measures and casts you correctly, and is available to make adjustments as needed. Hope you can start the process soon, and that you'll experience the benefits right away!

Totally agree with Bonette! Make sure you get to an orthotist who knows about your injury and has done ,ore than just a few of them.
    CKF