Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ZRA Frog Legs Forks: Seat Depth / CBTF

the freewheel would definitely be a possible solution to dealing with cobblestones. it might be possible to fabricate an attachment that would work with flip-up footrests - maybe using clamps onto the (still rigid) front, similar to how a dragonfly attaches.
    sorry, no experience and dont know any more.

there are several different types of wheelchair 'suspension' most of which have nothing to do with actual suspension. elastomers and springs are somewhat effective at absorbing fine vibrations like maybe the grout between marble tiles at a shopping mall, but will do nothing when you go outside and are faced with a 1cm at the start of a flagstone, or the ridges on a boatdock... and so on... for those, softroll or pneumatic castors would help - are you planning on getting antippers?

wow--those are some rough streets!

The ZX1 video looks great when it is used on smooth surfaces and up and down an occasional bump but would be a bit concerned about ZX1/wheelchair performance/durability on this stuff. You mentioned that 50% of the time will be outdoors including time on these cobblestone surfaces. How much of the outdoor time do you estimate will be on these beautiful but miserable to negotiate roads/walks?
    I don't have an SCI--I have generalized weakness (PPMS) with POTS and gait problems.

Thank again for your input Amyk. We are definitely getting anti-tips.

The bumps we have even in our house are more than your average "mall grout" -- hundreds of years old wood floors and uneven terra cotta tiles.

Good idea about looking into the freewheel. We had previously discounted it because of the flip-up footrests. I've asked Patd about attachment possibilities.

Yeah, I am probably looking for the impossible, getting over those horrible 1 cm slams and pitches from the chair. I may have a word with Frog Legs about this picture on their web page.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have froglegs on one of my chairs and it is useless on streets like that. Every time a stone is a little higher than the rest, the chair stopps and I am falling fareward off the chair. So I have stopped using that chair. And they makes the curbs difficult to go up.

On my other chair I have softrolls and usual forks and it is working much better. At least the chair is not bending foreward when I wheel in a high stone.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Wow, thank you Tauble, and the others that have, for really looking into this post. Luckily, probably only about 10-20% of the 50% outdoors will be on the really rough streets. The problem is, you often don't know until you get to them. Done that before, made sure the restaurant/hotel was accessible, only to find out the street was a "seizure minefield" (no offense to those who have dealt with real minefields).
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have a K├╝shall chair with suspension under my chair or I wouldn't have survieved
    TH 12, 43 years post

Maybe NASA has a spare Mars Rover you could use.

Seriously, I have a much better appreciation for the myriad problems that you and your husband have been sorting through and am humbled by your positive attitudes and perseverance.
    I don't have an SCI--I have generalized weakness (PPMS) with POTS and gait problems.

i have sensation and movement, so my way through cobbles/rough surfaces is usually to lift my feet above the footplate, 'lock' my knees as much as i can, and blunder through without stopping. i can only do this with the softrolls, with my old standards on my kuschall (1.5" hard plastic, square edged) i would stop every foot or so and have to restart. if i try to speak while blundering, it comes out sounding like im sitting on a washing machine. h.h.h.h.e.l.l.l.l.l.o.o.o.o.m.y.y.n.n.n.a.a.a.m.m. m.m.e.i.s.s.s.a.a.a.a.m.m.y.y.y.

Thanks Woman from Europe, you and many others are convincing me that they just probably aren't going to to work for what we intended, and are going to add difficulty in transfers, and make the chair too forward tippy [see Specs for a ZRA2 with flip-up footrests (DU 100082)].

I just left a message for my brother, who was previously the head of engineering at the company I mentioned a few posts ago #18, to see what he might be able to rig up for us. I hate being the pain in the butt little sister. Unfortunately, we won't be able to use the funding we would get from the government for the FL forks for that, but I don't think there are any other viable solutions at this time.

It's kind of funny, when we started the project of a new wheelchair, FL forks was one of the few things I felt sure of. Oh well... I hope a few of you who already cautioned me are reading this. In the words of one of my old UK friends “I am as green as I am cabbage looking”.

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    i have sensation and movement, so my way through cobbles/rough surfaces is usually to lift my feet above the footplate, 'lock' my knees as much as i can, and blunder through without stopping. i can only do this with the softrolls, with my old standards on my kuschall (1.5" hard plastic, square edged) i would stop every foot or so and have to restart. if i try to speak while blundering, it comes out sounding like im sitting on a washing machine. h.h.h.h.e.l.l.l.l.l.o.o.o.o.m.y.y.n.n.n.a.a.a.m.m. m.m.e.i.s.s.s.a.a.a.a.m.m.y.y.y.
    That is too funny.