Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My PCA wants time and a half for working on Thanksgiving.

My PCA wants time and a half for working on Thanksgiving.

I have never given her that for any other holiday over the past 3. 5 years.

Tomorrow is my bowel day, so that means she will get $27 an hour for watching TV and talking on the phone while I'm on the throne.

I have never had a time and a half clause in my contract with her.

Did you tell her there is no union where she works? Is it possible to get someone else?

I'd refuse ... but easy for me to say.

Being someone who benefits from 'union mentality,' in the way of wages and benefits, I really hate the 'entitlement' thing. If it's not in her contract, then it's non-negotiable without a new contract, no?

Take half and tell her it's for the employee health benefit plan, pension, the union and taxes. Geezus.

I know I have no business commenting on this ... but that just pisses me off.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 11-21-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I think you answered your own question when you said she's worked for you for 3.5 years, by implication that means she must be good which = gold dust!

Pay her the time and a half and drive home the point that it's more of a bonus than an obligation!

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    I think you answered your own question when you said she's worked for you for 3.5 years, by implication that means she must be good which = gold dust!

Pay her the time and a half and drive home the point that it's more of a bonus than an obligation!
    Yeah, I would run with Timaru's recommendation. Turn this into an opportunity where you get to reward and thank her for her loyalty and service but make sure she knows it needs to be re-negotiated at the next contract renewal if she expects it going forward.

I not have or need this. This sounds scarey. Lynn probably said the legal answer. Timaru probably said the respectful answer. If these are tough to get what you want, I would choose respectful.

i don't know your situation but heck, skip a day and give her thanksgiving off, let her eat with her family and likewise.............is it that crucial that a day once a year can't be skipped? or do you need her to get u up and clean, let her do that and go home........if not be thankful she is there on a holiday..........just my thought........

Blog Entries

Skip a bm and I'd probably get a stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    i don't know your situation but heck, skip a day and give her thanksgiving off, let her eat with her family and likewise.............is it that crucial that a day once a year can't be skipped? or do you need her to get u up and clean, let her do that and go home........if not be thankful she is there on a holiday..........just my thought........
    I got to bm every morning, no negotiating. How long does yours take?
    What would you otherwise want her to do while you're crapping?
    I find as time goes on, and if I want to keep my cg happy, I tend to be flexible with his perks. It sometimes sucks cause you envy your cg 's life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    I have never given her that for any other holiday over the past 3. 5 years.

Tomorrow is my bowel day, so that means she will get $27 an hour for watching TV and talking on the phone while I'm on the throne.

I have never had a time and a half clause in my contract with her.
    Don't be like Walmart!

I know, I have to say it, I'm sorry, "But when you gotta go, you gotta go" there it's out.

Here's what you do, go to the Bronx friday morning, the fish market, Find the stand Mt. Sinai Fish Co. see a guy named Joe [yes you can tell him I sent you, really.] He'll give his worldly advice and it's going to go like this "F&*$@ 'em where they breed" I swear, this will be his exact words, I've known him for over 50 years.

Like Jen I'm also from a government/union background but my feeling is without a contract giving into her now could be a slippery slope , I mean what's next double time for Christmas? At least in a contract/union setting things are written in stone more or less.

I also get the feeling in a lot of these employer/employee pca discussions that some of the pca's like to play the "you need use more then we need you" card, hence extra demands and spur of the moment things, they know without them a person could be up the creek at least temporarily.
    Last edited by canuck; 11-21-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added info/thoughts.